Trouble installing on XPS M1210

Aurelius

3 posts in this topic

Hi, I'm new to this place, just got into osx86, and I really need help :lol:

So I stumbled upon "The Complete Dell XPS m1210 Installation" posted in the Genius Bar forum, and followed it exactly. ( http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=41775 )

I have a m1210 that matches most of the tutorial maker's specs, I made 2 partitions on my harddrive, 75GB NTFS for Vista, and 75GB FAT32 for OSX. After installing Vista, I proceeded to install OSX from JaS 10.4.8. Everything seems to work fine, I erase the FAT32 and change into Mac File System Extended (with Journalling). The entire install goes smoothly, only problem is, when it starts first boot of OSX, I get this nasty message "Operating System Missing." That's all I see on a black screen.

I've tried repartitioning and reinstalling, with no luck. I've tried both the kernels included in my JaS DVD, the Mifki and the Semthex. I got the exact same error message after a successful install both times. When I set the boot flags to the NTFS I can boot Vista fine. I've ever tried chain0 and selected OSX, but I get the exact same message.

In GParted live cd, I see an exclamation icon next to the HFS+ partition. Under information it says, "Unable to read the contents of this filesystem!"

I've looked everywhere without coming up with a solution, and would be very grateful if someone could help me out here.. thanks in advance.

I think I've found the source of the problem: the install DVD

I used JAS 10.4.8 SSE3 ONLY.install.dvd, which other people are also having problems with...

I'll try a different installation..

• 3 months later...