how to increase VRAM for integrated graphic card?

d4vide

6 posts in this topic

Hi everybody

I just installed osx86 10.4.8 on a Lenovo Laptop (Lenovo 3000 N100) with the JAS image.

The basic functions are up and running...

The Intel GMA 950 is recognized by the system, full resolution works fine and also Windows XP in parallel seems to be ok...

In the System Profiles I noticed that the Intel GMA 950 is using at the moment just 64 MB of shared RAM. As I have 1,5 GB I would like to give it a try with 128 MB of VRAM. There seem to be no option in my BIOS...

I remember on Ubuntu with X11 I changed this parameter in the X11org.conf file, from 16 to 128 MB and that was really speeding up the machine...

Is there any way I can do this on osx86?

Thanks in advance for your support and thanks to everybody for the great work!!

I'm so happy of my osx86 installation :-))

D4vide

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Sorry I don't have any help for you but I am hoping you can help me. I have same laptop and have installed same image as you. I noticed in another thread you were having trouble with sound. I am wondering if you got it working and if so, could you tell me how? I cannot seem to get network working either so any help you can offer on anything, sund, video, network etc. is much appreciated.

Thanks.

• 3 months later...
Have you installed the GMA 950 driver? It should be on your install disc.

It's not a driver as such, it just removes some kexts that interfere and uses natit AFAIK. As all apple built 950 machines use 64MB ram the kexts are setup to do so. I know of no obvious way to change that. But, you'd really want to ask yourself if going past 64MB on a chipset as anaemic as 950 would be of any conceivable benefit. It uses "slow" system ram to simulate vram - so there's no gain to be had from caching in it. Plus the 950 is so weak that it's unlikely to ever be held up by data transferred to it's memory in 64MB chunks. If you need to use 128MB textures, you are on a wrong system anyway.