Changing FSB Speed Fixes Time Sync Issues?

macmoby

2 posts in this topic

I read something in a thread recently saying that "default" OSX FSB speed was not going to be set correctly for my Processor/MOBO and that this could be the cause of time sync discrepancies between OSX and Windows... I've been scouring the pages looking to find this again, but I cannot (Thats what I get for not actively bookmarking :censored2: ) I know that I read it because I even remember it describing in detail how to edit your FSB speed. I'm pretty sure that correcting this could potentially solve some other issues for me as well (I've noticed my computer running MUCH hotter in OSX and the cpu fan constantly running considerably faster than in windows. Even while running literally nothing... Despite the fact that I have a decent system!)

Any gurus know if this whole FSB thing could solve my Time Sync Issues, OR more important to me, the heat problems I've been having? Or maybe someone could point me in the direction of the post I looking at before :whistle:

My Specs;

Sony Vaio VGC-RB38G Prescott P4 3.4 Ghz sse3, 1 gb ddr ram, Intel MOBO, ATIX1600PRO 512MB DDR2, 250GB SATA, 300GB SATA

Thanks in advance for your help!

MuSiklyINcLINED.gif

You are confusing two issues.

Time sync problem between windows /os X occurs because windows thinks the system clock runs at local time and os X (like most system w/ a *nix ancestry) expects the system clock to run at UTC (Universal/Zulu) time. So when one os syncs the clock with a net server it will put the other os out. There is plenty of work arounds for this on the forum, search. Personally, I turn off time sync in windows an let osX keep the time, I only use windows for games anyway....

Mis-setting FSB, can make your clock run faster or slower; along with a host of other, mostly negative, issues. It will correct itself when os syncs with a time server. AFAIK all current kernels are fsb auto detecting, so if you update to the latest kernel for .8/.9 it should not be an issue. Remove any fsb=*** flags.

As far as thermal management, read up on paulicat's speed step kernel and associated thermal managment kexts.