just install 10.4.8 on an HP nc6230

dan_

6 posts in this topic

I just finished installing jas 10.4.8 on an HP nc6320 with 2ghz intel core 2 duo, 1gb of ram and a blank 80gb hard drive. I had to disable dual core in the BIOS to get the installer to work.

After that, it seemed to work fine. Then I finished installation and os x started running. Seemed fine, then I opened safari and there was no connection. I opened system preferences, and then network. On the network screen there were no icons. I tried running the assistant but it would only let me pick dial up connection. This laptop has a wireless card, ethernet port, and a WWAN card in it for EVDO access. None of those work.

The sound screen in system preferences is the same. It says it can't find an output or input sound device.

I'm new to OS X so I don't exactly know what I am doing. Is there any hardware configuration area where I can see hardware and related drivers to them (like device manager in XP) so I can sort this network/sound issue out?

Thanks.

edit: oops, just saw the title I made is incorrect. it's the hp nc6320, not nc6230.

ok, i found system profiler.

Nevermind about sound. I am using a USB to headphone jack adapter and I plugged some headphones into that, and it works fine.

Would a USB wireless adapter work too? :thumbsup_anim:

• 1 year later...

I have the exact same laptop with the same install and I've tried several kext to get the sound working but none have worked so far. Maybe someone who has this laptop can lend us a hand.

Looking at the laptop since the hardware seems very generic I'm pretty sure that if someone knew a way to tell the computer not to boot with the wi-fi and sound off it would work. The bios is just so limited that there is no settings what devices should be turned on when booted.

did you use Mac OS X 10.4.8 [JaS AMD-Intel-SSE2-SSE3 with PPF1 & PPF2].iso or without the PPF patches?

i actually have the nc6220, same board just lower processor and whatnot, and everything but touchpad, battery, network, and pcmcia/sd card readers worked out of the box.

on another note, i just installed Kalyway 10.4.10 (IntelSSE3 + V1.1_AMD&SSE2_Patch+fixes) and it worked like a charm, the only thing i had to do was install the iwi2000 drivers for the wireless and patch the PS2Trackpad drivers to get scrolling and tap-click working. i would suggest trying that and going from there

FYI i havent been able to get Leopard working on this thing yet.

I used the Mac OS X 10.4.8 [JaS AMD-Intel-SSE2-SSE3 with PPF1 & PPF2].iso not sure if it came with the ppo pathes or not but it was the jas release. For me i had that touch pad working fine everything worked actually except the the sound and network inc. wifi. so pretty much usless.

I tried several leopard installs they all seemed to stall at some point or another never even getting to the install screen for me. (well once it worked but canceled out of it by accident)

Ill try the kalawy release see how that works. I hope I have as much success as you because without the network or sound its useless.

• 7 months later...