Nvclock in OSX?

6 posts in this topic

So OSX is fine and everything, but one thing bugs me: It's the noise that the fan on my Leadtek 6600GT makes ... Now back in Windows XP I could control that perfectly with ExperTool, which I, of course, can no longer do in OSX. But I found an open source Linux/FreeBSD alternative, that can also control fan speed and it's called Nvclock.

Now I don't know much about anything, but I was wondering about what would need to be done to be able to use this tool's ability to control the speed of my tornado generating fan. :tomato: Could I compile it in OSX? What else?

Anybody an expert on the matter?

Thank you in advance ...

Greetings from sLOVEnia,

Jure.

So ... Progress report:

Had to change 'configure' of nvclock to even compile on Darwin. Configure went fine, so did the make. No errors. Running ./nvclock without arguments also went fine.

So I tried to run it with the option -h (to display help), and it gave me a 'Bus error'. It turns out that every command line argument crashed the application.

Gdb reported that it crashes at fclose(). Searched the code for fclose() and found it on three different occasions - turns out OSX's fclose() does NOT like it's argument to be NULL so I just put another 'if' before the fclose to check.

if(fp) { fclose(fp); }

Recompiled and now we're getting somewhere. nvclock runs but halts because of insufficient privileges...

jure$ ./nvclock -D

Error: You don't have enough permissions to run NVClock! Retry as root or install the Nvidia drivers.

sudo ./nvclock -D

Error: Can't open /proc/bus/pci/devices to detect your videocard.

This is where I'm at.

Any clues?

• 3 weeks later...
jure$ ./nvclock -D

Error: You don't have enough permissions to run NVClock! Retry as root or install the Nvidia drivers.

sudo ./nvclock -D

Error: Can't open /proc/bus/pci/devices to detect your videocard.

This is where I'm at.

Any clues?

There's no such location as /proc/, let alone /proc/bus/pci/devices... Hence, it can't detect your videocard, since i assume that's where it's looking for it. I don't know where 'devices' may be located, i'll try looking around to see if i can find it. I'll get back to you if i get it working [installing gcc 4.0 now :)].

Greetings!

Update:Got it to ./configure by editing the 'configure' file and removing the line 'exit 1' after 'NVClock doesn't work on this OS yet'.

Now however, when i try to run it, i get: Bus error

I don't really have that much time these days, wish i did, i'd certainly fool around with it a bit more then :)

• 1 year later...
There's no such location as /proc/, let alone /proc/bus/pci/devices... Hence, it can't detect your videocard, since i assume that's where it's looking for it. I don't know where 'devices' may be located, i'll try looking around to see if i can find it. I'll get back to you if i get it working [installing gcc 4.0 now :( ].

Greetings!

Update:Got it to ./configure by editing the 'configure' file and removing the line 'exit 1' after 'NVClock doesn't work on this OS yet'.

Now however, when i try to run it, i get: Bus error

I don't really have that much time these days, wish i did, i'd certainly fool around with it a bit more then :(

Hi you!!! nothing in the web for the same... my fan is f***** noisy. I've got Iatkos 5i installed and trying everything to get my fan slow down (same graphic card for me). I surf the web for nvclock mac install and nothing about. I'm new in ubuntu / linux / mac OS's (just Windows till now) so the question is: did you get it??? how please??? nothing with the fan control or the smc app...any other solution? I don't know what else can I do.

Thank you or any mac master who gave us the answer.

PD: Sorry for my english. Hope it's ok :P

• 6 months later...

Sorry for the late reply.

I am also interested in the nvclock as my brightness control does not work under Mac OS.

I thought nvclock might help.

Have you tired sudo command, that might solve your not enough privileges problem.

• 7 months later...