External HD (WD MyBook 320Gb) & iPod not being detected.

EFI

6 posts in this topic

After installing OS X86 for my Friend...his Western Digital Mybook 320Gb and his 30Gb iPod video dont seem to be detected by the operating system. However, his printer, which is a Canon i560, works flawlessly. Is this a USB driver issue or is there something more.

The guy's system specs are as follows:

Intel P4 3.2Ghz HT

1Gb PC3200 DDR ram (KByte)

200Gb Maxtor HD

HP DVD writer 400c

Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Music

nVidia GeForce 6200 256Mb

OS X86 10.4.8 with 8.4.1 kernel

Once you plug in the WD Mybook 320gb, external HD, it spins up..and then goes into power save spin down mode, which means its on, but its not active. When I connect the iPod into the USB slot, it doesnt recharge or anything...and you can still navigate through the menu (which should not be happening). Any solution would help a lot. :thumbsup_anim:

I have a real Mac (Macbook Pro), but I cant use the same methods of updating like I would on regular Apple hardware, hence these issues. I connected his MyBook external HD to my Macbook Pro, and it works flawlessly. Its detected, and I can use the hard-drive...same goes with the iPod.

- Thanks again for the help.

Check Apple System Profiler to see what information is has to offer about the USB. First see if it says "USB High-Speed Bus," then check to see how much power is being provided to the devices (it will show when you click on the bus it's connected to, or if you click on the device itself). It's possible that the drive and iPod require 500mA, but it might only be providing 250mA or something. I'd also check Disk Utility to see if the drive shows up in there at all.

Thanks for the reply mate. I checked out the system profiler, and all the USB slots are getting 500mA. However both the drive and the iPod dont even show up in the profiler. i have a pic below, if it will be of any use.

http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/2634/picture3si3.png

I also checked out disk utility...and the external HD isn't showing up. :)

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/420/picture2os2.png

What should I do now?

- Thanks again

hmm...it looks like other than the printer, you have a USB mouse, a card reader, and whatever EverestFBB is (some kind of HP HID from my brief search). Do you happen to have a self-powered USB hub (one that plugs into the wall) to plug in just to see if it's something to do with power? I'm also surprised that there aren't any USB2.0 ports (at least not showing any). USB 2.0 isn't required for the iPod (but is recommended), but it could be required by the external drive. Have you tried disconnecting the other USB devices and plugging in either the iPod or HD (one at a time).

I checked the USB 2.0 ports, none of the other peripherals work other than the printer...weird. There are 6 USB 2.0 ports as well. 4 on the back, and 2 on the front...all of them accept the printer...but nothng else. You mentioned a self powered USB hub, which is also connected...and that connects to the wall too...

Just to make sure, I disconnected the hub, and tried putting the HD and iPod...and still it wont connect. Any suggestions?

Edit: I just tried the Microsoft IR receiver (for the remote control that is used for the original WIndows Media Center Edition 05 that was installed before OS X86), and it was detected, and is shown in the system profier. Also the SD card works in 7in1 media reader on the front...and shows up as a seperate drive in disk utility, which is a positive sign.

But the main external HD, which is the Western DIgital MyBook, is still not coming up...and same with the iPod.

Again, thanks for the help ;)