Viewing Other Drives

abhi262

11 posts in this topic

hi i have a problem as i have two hard drives, one for osx86 and the other for windows but i have a problem viewing them from different os's. the funny thing is that when i installed mac the first time, i was able to see my windows drive but now that i had to re install it, it can't seem to be able to see it. even in disk utility i can't see my windows drive. this is really quite annoying as tend to need to move files from my mac USB drive to my windows hard drive and at the moment i am forced to split files up to put on my memory stick aand then reboot into the other OS. thanx for any help

also, does anyone know of a freeware program like macdrive that is compatible with vista?

ok...something weird has happened and i just booted into mac just now and for some reason i can now see my windows drives.oh well i'm not gonna complain!

also, does anyone now an alternative to mac drive 7 i can use for vista to view my mac drive?

thanks for anyhelp

well, firstly, lets get some info.

1. your mac drive is USB apparently correct?

How is your windows drive connected? IDE or SATA?

2. im assuming your windows drive is formated ntfs correct?

if that's the case, then mac can't read it, you'll need to use macfuse which allows osx to read/write to ntfs partions.

Something i've found that's useful is have one fat32 formated drive/partition, that way both mac, and windows can see it.

MacFuse didn't work. After Installation, i rebooted into mac but i couldn't see my windows drive

strange, MacFuse worked fine for me, and you should be able to at least see your vista partition.

try doing this:

in vista:

right click on Computer => Manage => Disk Managment => right click on your C drive => Shrink Volume Choose an ammount of space to shrink the volume by.

Now right click on the new volume => Format => Choose FAT32

Mac and windows should be able to read/write to that partition now.

ok i tried this, shrank off 10gb, formatted it as fat 32. booted into mac and i can't see it. i think maybe if i re-install i might be able to see it. do you think its worth having to re-install then install all my programs again?

the only thing i can think of is that maybe sats isnt fully supported on your mother board?

try plugging the drive into a different sata port, and reboot into mac and see if it works.

i kinda had that problem when i was installing osx to begin with, it would only see sata drives plugged into the port closest to my cpu, no idea why.

the only thing i can think of is that maybe sats isnt fully supported on your mother board?

try plugging the drive into a different sata port, and reboot into mac and see if it works.

i kinda had that problem when i was installing osx to begin with, it would only see sata drives plugged into the port closest to my cpu, no idea why.

but if this is true how come once when i booted in mac i could see it? btw since installing mac i have not opened up my computer