5.1 audio out of ac97 realtek ALC850 on nforce4

daniel53

4 posts in this topic

Well, I've got everything installed and working. Even the sound is working, but only out of 2 speakers. I have the option in the Utilities -> Audio/MIDI setup to change it to 16bit - 6channels in the drop down. But it still doesnt work. I tried clicking the "configure speakers" button, and selecting 5.1 speakers, but still there is no sound coming out of my other speakers.

On a side note, in system profiler it doesnt say I have any audio hardware at all.... :P

Can anyone help me out with this?

I'm running the JAS 10.4.8 release with PPF1 and PPF2 pre installed. I'm on an AMD cpu with an evga NForce 4 mobo. Realtek 850 chip....

Thanks,

-Daniel

Pop in a DVD and play it with VLC, you should get 5.1 if you have everything set correctly. Mac OS X does not upmix stereo audio to 5.1 surround, unlike what Windows drivers do. If it doesn't play 5.1, then you probably have the AC97 drivers installed, and AFAIK, that only works in stereo mode. Search for AppleHDA patcher or Skippyretard's ALC8xx drivers (what I'm using since 10.4.8), one of them should work.

Don't worry about System Profiler showing an empty Built-in Audio window, it's normal.

Pop in a DVD and play it with VLC, you should get 5.1 if you have everything set correctly. Mac OS X does not upmix stereo audio to 5.1 surround, unlike what Windows drivers do. If it doesn't play 5.1, then you probably have the AC97 drivers installed, and AFAIK, that only works in stereo mode. Search for AppleHDA patcher or Skippyretard's ALC8xx drivers (what I'm using since 10.4.8), one of them should work.

Don't worry about System Profiler showing an empty Built-in Audio window, it's normal.

Sweet, thanks for that. I just downloaded an AC3 test vob and loaded it up in VLC and the 5.1 worked perfectly.....

Is there any way to upmix, say the itunes audio output to go to all of the speakers? Even if it is just cloning the audio

Also, the Realtek ALC850 is just AC97, not HD Audio afaik....so I dont think skippyretard's drivers would work for it.

Thanks,

-Daniel