OSx86 Partition Problem

Ken Iovino

5 posts in this topic

Hey everyone! This is my first time trying this, and I've been trying to install the OSx86 10.4.3 on my laptop for a few days now, but running into this problem. Every time I load up the OSx install, it can not see any of my partitions. So I'm obviously doing something dumb or wrong. Right now I have 110 gig unallocated partition. I have the Gparted LiveCD and I've been trying many different partitions but with no luck. Could someone be so kind to tell me how I can setup my OSx86 partition the right way using the LiveCD?

My laptop is empty which is fine, as I want to do a fresh install for Vista and Osx with dual boot. I have an HP Pavilion dv6000 Intel 1.6g, 1gig DDR and 110g-hd. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Look for devilhood's guide in the Tutorials (GeniusBar) subforum.

(In short, you could begin with a primary fat32 partition for osx, which you'll then need to treat with osx's install dvd's DiskUtility... it's in the above popular guide).

Also, you might want to get a more up-to-date install dvd, eg jas' 10.4.8, or a recent 10.4.9 kit.

I'm still having the same problem. Every time I boot into OSX to do the install, it ask me to select the destination and there are no partitions to choose from. I've tried EVERY type of partition using LiveCD. I don't even care at this point if Windows is installed or not. I would just like to install OSX and go from there. Why won't OSX recognize any of the partitions I setup? Please can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? EVERY tutorial is telling me different methods for partitioning. I have my Vista recovery that isn't working either. I'm getting really frustrated and would just like to get this working. Thanks!

This is where I'm stuck:

Step 5. Convert your partition for OSX.

Now you should see the screen “Select a destination”, and it’s empty. Now on top of the screen, go to Utilities->Disk Utility

The only thing showing in the Disk Utility is the DVD Rom drive. :P