building a PC to use it as a mac?

HexDump

7 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

This is my first post on the forums so I wanted to say hi! to everyone.

I have been thinking about buying a mac. The problem is that they are pretty expensive, then a friend of mine told me about OSx86 Project and I got really exited.

I have been reading and reading the forums and I see a lot of people having problems with hardware so I would like to know if There's a way to build a PC with same components that for example imac has in order to avoid all this problems and have a Hight end cheap mac (macos on pc).

The other question I have is that I will use my computer for music recording and production mainly. I have heard mac is the best computer for this, so I would like to use protools with lots of virtual instruments. Do anybody know if it will run as smooth as on a mac?

Thanks in advance,

HexDump.

What kind of system? How much money?

Because if your going to dish a good little bit of money into it, I would just give you a list of the components in my computer, since everything but the PCI cards are supported work working wonders.

I recommend an MSI 975x Platinum Powerup Edition Motherboard.

Everything works on it with 10.4.8, the only thing I haven't tested yet is SATA.

A Core 2 Duo (any speed you want, although a PD or P4 will do fine)

Any DDR2 Ram you want, but at least 512Mb, I recommend 1Gb.

At least a 40Gb IDE Drive, I don't know if it recognized SATA since I don't have a SATA drive to test it with.

I have a GeForce 7900 GT and Dual-Monitor works great.

What I don't recommend is an AMD system. I have an AMD system and all I have with Mac OS X is trouble with it.

Just figure out how much money the system you want to build will cost, and then compare it to the iMac's or even Mac Book Pro's. If the PC system is a tad bit more expensive, just get the iMac. But it's your decision so we don't have much to say.

I second much of what BlackFire wrote in his above post.

I have built two computers, both perfectly compatible with OS X.

I followed these threads:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...ic=7393&hl=

and:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...c=26508&hl=

The computer I am using now has a Bad Axe1, a Core 2 Duo E6600, 4GB RAM (you don't need that much) and a GeForce 7900 GT. OS X 10.4.8 works like clockwork.

If I could go back I'd probably buy a Bad Axe2, because you can put Quad Cores on it, which by the next price cut by Intel should be really cheap.

Thanks a lot for all your answers. I think first I will check the threads Alessandro17 gave me (thanks man). Then, I will write a list of components to buy and I will post it here to make sure everything will go smooth. Is it any difference between macos on pc and macos on mac when you get everything working on PC?.

PLmatt91: I think I can get a much better computer in terms of speed, etc... if I build it myself (PC clonic) than the ones sold by apple with the same money. Another important thing is that I just bought a 20" Dell monitor and I don´t need another one and don´t want to spent a lot of money on a mac pro.

P.D. Mac machines change not so much, so I think if I can get a working configuration for say las ver of macos it should be ok for the following ones, don´t you think?

Thanks a lot,

HexDump.