Changing desktop resolution through terminal

EFI

4 posts in this topic

Ok, hi everyone. Here's the problem. I myself have a Macbook Pro...so this problem is not related to me...but rather to a friend. He wanted to give OS X a shot...so I offered to install OS X 86 on his PC. The installation went smooth..and we reached the desktop. He has a GeForce 6200...so I went to the "Macvidia" website, and downloaded the necessary kext files and used the installer it came with to install the drivers. I rebooted, and the many other resolutions were now avaliable in the display menu. This is where I did something stupid. I selected a refresh rate higher than what his monitor can support...which was 85hz @ 1280 x 1024. The resolution is supported, but not at that refresh rate. Now when I reboot...after the grey apple screen logo...it just gives a "out of range" message on a completely black background. Is there any way to reset the resolution..or change it through Terminal from the OS X installation DVD. Thanks again. :)

Thanks guys, Terminal did not do the job....but I tried what Danyel linked, and it worked like a charm!. Thanks mate.

There is another problem though...and I really dont want to start another topic for this, so Ill mention it here, and hopefully I can get help like I did for the previous issue. OS X 86 (10.4.6), is not detecting the Western Digital Mybook external hard-drive...nor the 30Gb black iPod. However, the Canon i560 printer is detected, and is working fine. Does this mean there is a USB issue...or is the problem with the iPod and the MyBook itself? Were should I go about solving this. Thanks. My friend didn't know about the 10.4.8 full DVD...instead the guy downloaded the 10.4.6 one from almost a year ago, so I have to add the updates to 10.4.9. I'm just now downloading 10.4.7. Is this USB issue solved in the newer updates...or is there a seperate kext I have to get somewhere else to solve this. Again, thanks a lot for the help :thumbsdown_anim: