Broken Motherboard - Replacement Advice

3 posts in this topic

Ive had a hackintosh that has been more or less fully working since 10.4.8 was released. Last week, I had some heat issues with the processor, and removed the fan to de-dust it etc, and in doing so have screwed the motherboard (since the machine does no longer power on)

I had an Asus P5LD2-VM motherboard.

Now I am wondering what is currently the best board to replace it with - I cant seem to buy the VM motherboard any more, but the P5LD2-SE is available.

Or should I switch manufacturers and go for a different board.

I was hoping that I should be able just to change the board and boot up as usual! I doubt it will be as smooth as that though!

Just make sure that the board you buy closely resembles the chipset of your old one. You do less configuring that way.

Also, you may be able to get your current machine working. Play around with it. Remove the processor entirely and put it back in, check and make sure all levers are in and ready to go (I've had machines not boot up because I forgot to put down the ZIF socket lever).

I have tried removing every component, and putting back one by one and the board just doesnt power up at all... No CPU fans, nothing....

I have bought a replacement VM, luckily found a UK company that has stock - they appear to be very popular boards!!!