Ripping Apart The iBook!

four!

2 posts in this topic

I have an old iBook G3 Dual USB 500MHZ.

It had a 15gb HDD and a CDROM Drive but I wanted to make it a little better. The RAM was already maxed out at 640MB. It is the model with the crappy ATI Rage 8mb 2x AGP video. NO QE and definitely no CI!

I went to www.ifixit.com and read the step by step guide to pulling it to bits. I had a Compaq Presario 2700 with an 80GB and Dual Layer DVD Burner but the motherboard was fried. I pulled the HDD and the DVD Burner out of the Presario so I could transplant it into my 12" iBook. I followed the guide on ifixit.com and transplanted the HDD and the DVD Burner. Formatted the HDD with Disk Util off the OSX 10.4 disc. Reinstalled OSX with all updates upto 10.4.9. From the start the laptop felt faster because the HDD is 7200 RPM.

TO MY SURPRISE!

I put in a DVD Movie, DVD Player loaded up like i expected, but what i didnt expect was the DVD playback to be absolutely flawless fullscreen. No Lagg at all even running in Windowed mode. My iBook has been given a new lease on life.

Then.

Opened up Disk Util and had a Kubuntu DVD ISO burned it to a blank dvd and it worked perfectly.

I was actually suprised at how well the G3 performed. I am never going to under estimate the PowerPC again!

Is this normal?

Yeah, it's normal, assuming you have a decent amount of RAM.

I have a G4/450Mhz tower here that is still used for Photoshop CS2, word processing, internet etc. and it runs quite smooth because it has 512mb ram.