Which mainboard?

6 posts in this topic

Hello,

i'm gonna buy a new mobo for my hackintosh and don't know which one:

1. Asus P5L-MX

2. Asus P5L-VM 1394

The first one has working on OS X lan onboard but the second one has firewire. CPU i've chosen is C2D E4300 and i'd like to OC this cpu. Which mobo will be better to do that?

And second question: is there huge difference between E4300 (w/o VT) and E6300 (with VT)?

Martin

YOu might want to consider a Asus P5W DH Deluxe.

The difference between with or without VT depends on you. If you use Vmware or another virtualisation that can use paravirtualisation it might be worth it. I am a heavy Vmware user (workstation 6 RC/debugging disabled) and have vista x64 running with paravirtualisation at near native speed.

YOu might want to consider a Asus P5W DH Deluxe.

The difference between with or without VT depends on you. If you use Vmware or another virtualisation that can use paravirtualisation it might be worth it. I am a heavy Vmware user (workstation 6 RC/debugging disabled) and have vista x64 running with paravirtualisation at near native speed.

P5W is too expensive for me. I think i'll be using virtualisation (Windows XP) but i don't know whether or not speed increase will be visible. E4300 is cheaper than E6300.

id choose the VM 1394.. but thats just my choice.. up to you..

PS:Check my sig.

I think i''ll buy it. Can i overclock E4300 on this mobo?

Martin

• 3 months later...

Just throwing this out there for anyone else who has a P5L VM 1394.

The board & CPU worked for me with the front side bus pushed up to 233 MHz from 200 MHz (2.1GHz CPU) with all of the other (memory timing, vcore) settings left at auto. I have onboard sound and NIC disabled, using PCI NIC and onboard video. I am running KVR DDR2 667, stock timings - 5-5-5-11(maybe 12). Using Most recent BIOS as of July 2007.

I did the BSEL mod with the Permatex Rear window defogger grid repair kit and an artist size 000 paint brush. Just painted it on directly, no masking. Let it dry ~1 hour. The mod worked fine (electrically) with the first coat.

Put the CPU back on the P5L VM 1394, powered on and the computer would not POST. Power HDD and CDROM lights flashing. Held in Power button until the computer powered off, then turned back on. BIOS said Overclocking failed and told me to chose between changing bios settings or returning to defaults and continuing.

Tryed changing tons of bios settings, reboot many times with no luck.

If I Press [F2] to return to defaults and continue, the system does not POST, but just goes straight to boot. Boots fine. CPUZ says 2.4GHz, 1067 FSB. Speedfan & Sandra say voltages and temperatures are OK.

I run OSX86 most of the time so I power off windows, go through the entire failed POST thing and [F2] default continue thing. Start OSX and it works fine too. Has been running great all night.

Now I just need to get BIOS control working again so I can overclock further.

Any thoughts?

>>And second question: is there huge difference between E4300 (w/o VT) and E6300 (with VT)?

I can't make a comparison with the E6300, but parallels works great on my 2.4 GHz E4300. No VT issues as far as I can tell.

Cyborg28

@cyborg28, I think you have to remove the bios battery and then put it back to reset the bios. I'm an overclocking noob though, so double-check at some l33t overclocking forum...

@fuzzyland,

You HAVE checked the wiki right? Because there's a lot of info there!

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/HCL_10.4.8

Both are pretty similar, excep that the 1394 has firewire. For both of them, though, the built in networking doesn't work. As far as overclocking goes, well 945 boards in general kind of suck. You're looking at minor overclocking at best, like 10% or so. If you want to really overclock, you must buy a better motherboard and ram, which of course means extra $$$

The e4300 is a better buy than the e6300 if you're on a budget, the VT isn't a huge thing you're going to notice...They're both almost the same speed ---> really fast! I run parallels on my Pentium 4 with no VT. It works,it's fast...it will probably be better with the VT, but hey!

Well both boards are really good, but here's another board, I don't know if you'll consider it, the Asus P5GZ-MX, it's a micro-atx motherboard, based on the 945 chipset. You can read more about it here(click on reviews) and here.

Everything in it works in os x, networking and sound, it's pretty perfect for os x. It's really cheap, but it's geared towards the e4x00 range of cpus because it has an 800mhz bus. It's not good for the e6x00 range because they operate at a 1066 fsb, but for the e4x00, like e4300, it's just as fast as any other... You can also overclock it a bit, maybe from 200fsb to about 230, which would be the same as the other boards.

So that would be my recommendation. Hope it helps :)