performance

bar1

4 posts in this topic

Hi

I'm running my 10.4.8 on AMD 3200+ with 1.5GB of ram and Asus A8NE board and 6800GT card

everything look like working fine ,

i just wandering if i'm suppose to get the same performance as on my XP with photoshop afterEffects ...

I test Maya 7.01 rendering with the OSX and it take about 10 min' per frame an on the XP around 3-4 min'

Way Thar's so big different ?

Thank's

From Autodesk's page:

Maya 7.0/7.0.1 on Intel Based Macs

Maya 7.0 / 7.0.1 for OS X is not a Universal Binary and will not run natively on the new Intel-based Macs from Apple. While you may be able to experiment with Maya under emulation through Apple's Rosetta, it was not designed for 3d-intensive applications such as Maya and as such we will not be able to provide support if you try to work this way. We do not make forward looking statements regarding which platforms will be supported in future product releases.

If you want better performance on an Intel based Mac, you need to upgrade Maya. Right now you're running it under emulation, which is why it's slower. I don't know about AfterEffects, but for PhotoShop to run natively on Intel Macs, you need CS3. Otherwise just like Maya, you're running under Rosetta.

OK because I'm new with that ..I just want to know .

should i expect from my computer to have same performance as Apple machine with

more or less the same configuration like mine or other one ?

Thank's

Well, there are no Apple machines with AMD processors, so that question can't really be answered specifically. Generically however, yes. If you build a computer with similar specs to a real Mac, it will run about the same performance. One big difference though, is you can overclock most PCs rather easily, and get better performance out of the same chip.