Firewire GUID 0000000 is invalid

Tobermory

10 posts in this topic

Hi, I am new to getting OSX working on a PC but have managed to successfully follow instructions and have a working intall of Jas 10.4.8 which I have upgraded to 10.4.9. on a Asus P5LD2-VM board. I have added the sound drivers and these are working great.

The only issue I have is with the generic add-on firewire card I have. My LaCie Big DIsk isn't recognised when I connect it and I have noticed an error apperaing every 5 seconds or so in system.log:

FireWire GUID 0000000000000000 is invalid!

Can anyone suggest how I can fix this?

Many Thanks.

• 10 months later...

A firewire port is a primary type device. It wants to be installed in such a way as not to share an IRQ. Unless the driver(s) concerned are carefully written to allow IRQ sharing, and the add-in card's latency isn't a lot different to the device you are forcing the share with, you are SOL (you are not getting any "shared" time on the PCI buss).

A firewire port is a primary type device. It wants to be installed in such a way as not to share an IRQ. Unless the driver(s) concerned are carefully written to allow IRQ sharing, and the add-in card's latency isn't a lot different to the device you are forcing the share with, you are SOL (you are not getting any "shared" time on the PCI buss).

well it worked before, so it should work again... I second the question... any way this can be fixed? The copying of KEXTs above didn't work for me :P

Would an add-in card fix this? I'm using onboard...

Before giving up:

1)If the port is on a card I would try moving the card to another slot.

2)If on-board, in your board's manual there should be an IRQ map, check (and eliminate, if you can) the share.

I too am learning about this, but even within a Windoze enviorment, there are times that a firewire port simply won't "go".