Sound Strangely Cuts In and Out

Derajenator

8 posts in this topic

Ok, so I while ago I installed a JaS w/ a self-patched PPF1 and all was dandy. A week later, I idiotically installed an Apple security upgrade that forced me to re-install OSX86. When I reinstalled osx86, I used JaS.Mac.OS.X.10.4.8.AMD.Intel.SSE2.SSE3.PPF.1.Defiant.diskutil.biker880.ich7-R.patch.Integrated from Demonoid. Ever since the new installation, my sound will cut in and out when not being used. For example, I can turn on iTunes and play music with my volume all the way down and everything will play but when I pause it, there is only a slight chance that anything else I play will come through with sound. I've extensively searched the forums with someone with the same problem because I really don't want to have reinstall osx86. If anyone has experienced this and/or has a solution to this problem, I would greatly appreciate your help. Thanks! Oh yeah and btw, I'm using onboard ALC97.

i had the same problem as you until now, and it was really frustrating. i have alc97 aswell.

a couple of days ago i enabled 6ch sound in audio midi setup.

and today i got the same problem, the sound stops working even before i started itunes. but now i tried to change the format from 6ch to 2ch, and the sound popped right back. so try opening midi setup (in the utilities folder) and see if your sound card is set to 6ch.

I found that whenever a new sound started playing (eg the beginning of a movie or song, or even the pip you get when you change loudness) that the sound would be garbled and take a few seconds to start playing properly.

Messing about in the dialogue mentioned above (I didn't have 6 channel support) I found that switching from 44 to 48kHz fixed my problem too!

Thanks guys!

I have this problem too. I have no options on speaker setup though. I see Output is not supported in the audio midi setup. And in the sys pref/sound Line Out says in device >> Line Out AC97 Audio (PCM) and in the settings I get >>> the selected device has not output controls. I did notice that if the sound cuts out, and I change the speaker from the front to rear port the sound is there.

When you see "output is not supported" you have to change the box next to "properties for" to the second option in the list. Its probably exactly the same as the first, but it your output :thumbsup_anim:

After that you should be able to see the output properties