netinfod and no login

os_overload

3 posts in this topic

help me i cant log in to osx, it rejects user: deadmoo password: bovinity login and anything else ive tried!

I can't login using the login program in single user mode and I cant set my password

safe mode stops at the blue screen with the mouse, no startup dialog or login screen

the prompt shows like this in single user mode:

localhost:/ root#

so if i su root it does nothing and i cant su curtis

after starting the system (sh /etc/rc) i get a bunch of errors from netinfod:

1) file_init failed 2) ni_init failed 3) start_service failed.

then the directory service has an initalize error every so often about the delay had been another minute

then memberd also complains that it cant find the root user.

i have no idea what to do, i have verified the disk and fixed permissions. However I had a file/dir not found error when i restored to my real partition from vmware using deadmoo's image. I patched the files back to sse3 (but only modified mach_kernel works, not mach_kernel.old version)

can any1 help me?

well looking in the passwd file, it says that normally it is only used for single user mode, otherwise the login looks to lookupd and Directory Services, the latter of which is failing to start probably because of netinfod errors, so why is netinfod failing? are there any log files i could check??

well i fixed my problem my renaming /var/db/netinfo/local.nidb to local.nidb.bad which forced netinfo to remake a good password file. then i also deleted /var/db/.AppleSetupDone so that when I started up it would have me configure as if it was the first boot. It runs really fast, and even faster after I removed the AppleIntel kexts.