Tiger won't recognize my main data HFS+ partition

dHack

3 posts in this topic

Current problem: OSX won't recognize my data partition but it works with win xp and MacDrive.

How did it happened:

I had following partitions:

1. tiger (hfs+)

2. empty ntfs

3. data (hfs+)

4. osx86 test (hfs+)

I needed some space and wanted to format the ntfs partition to hfs. Disk Utility didn't allow it so I booted xp installation cd hoping that deleting this partition might help. No. OSX didn't even boot up :D I managed to fix this with fdisk and when I loaded up Disk Utility it didn't allowed formating unused space to partition unless you want to delete the whole disk. So had an extra pata drive with winxp and formated unused space to fat32 partition. Now when i went back to tiger it didn't mount my main data partition! Instead it claimed it's become ntfs one :blink: Fortunately macdrive in windows won't have a problem and mounts this partition correctly.

Here is what fdisk in osx thinks of current situation:

Disk: /dev/rdisk0       geometry: 38913/255/63 [625142448 sectors]
Signature: 0xAA55
        Starting       Ending
#: id  cyl  hd sec -  cyl  hd sec [     start -       size]
------------------------------------------------------------------------
*1: AF    0   1   1 - 1023 213  34 [        63 -   41943040] HFS+        
2: 0C 1023 124  24 - 1023 213  34 [  41943103 -   31457185] Win95 FAT32L
3: 07 1023   3  29 - 1023  32   2 [  73400418 -  530770608] HPFS/QNX/AUX
4: 05 1023  32   3 - 1023  90  20 [ 604171026 -   20971422] Extended DOS

Could it be that I need to modify MBR and change 3rd partition type to HFS+? And if it's so than how exactly I'm going to to that?

Thanks in the advance!

anyone? this is a rather urgent problem.. :P

Edit: Managed to solve this by my own.

1. Copied MBR to file: "sudo dd if=/dev/rdisk0 of=mbr.backup bs=512 count=1" (replace rdisk0 with YOUR disk number)

2. Backed-up MBR to external source!

3. Did some editing with HexEdit. List of filesystem IDs that you need to comapare with your own disk. ("sudo fdisk /dev/rdisk0") See this and this link for additionl info

4. Copied MBR back: "sudo dd if=mbr.backup of=/dev/rdisk0 bs=512 count=1" I used JaS dvd to boot up because hdd can't be in use while updating MBR: "dd if=/Volumes/path/to/your/MBR of=/dev/rdisk1 bs=512 count=1"

And it works :)

...Could it be that I need to modify MBR and change 3rd partition type to HFS+?...

Edit: Managed to solve this by my own....

I had the same problem. Your solution fixed my problem too, but I found an easier way to do it:

1) boot off install disk/Kismus Hackintosh tools/USB drive/etc.

2) open terminal

3) fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0 (or whatever your rdisk, to edit MBR on disk interactively)

4) print (to view the existing records)

5) edit 3 (or whatever your partition number to edit its records)

6) Partition ID: (enter AF for HPF+, but you can get help to see a full list of types)

7) Edit in CHS Mode: (enter n to leave settings as is)

8) Partition Offset: (enter in your original offset number from printout above -- it defaults to the original #)

9) Partition Size: (enter in your original size number from printout above -- CAREFUL it defaults to the

end of the disk, not the original #)

10) write

11) exit (or just quit will write and exit)

After I made this change, I was immediately able to mount the volume in Disk Utility.