Mac OS X gui + linux kernel?

linuxfan66

30 posts in this topic

Just strictly FYI

Xorg (the current X-server in Linux) is actually not inferior to the OSX-alternative. And in terms of effects, speed an useability, Linux has the advantage and it's about to get a LOT bigger:

Show's the current version of "Compiz Fusion" the resulting project from the merger of Beryl and Compiz, the two 3D Desktop systems of Linux.

In terms of pretty much all else: stability, speed, ease of use and so on, OSX isn't actually ahead. Yes you can have to edit a configuration file in linux if you want to do something BEYOND what the basic user would want to do, but that's true in OSX too (I can't run my applications satisfactory unless I do).

What I'm really boiling this down to here is:

OSX is ok, some like it and thats just fine, but why would you want to combine Linux and OSX ? If you want to, then there's something you like about Linux, and if so, then maybe you should just install a 3D desktop project and be happy ? :)

Once Compiz Fusion and KDE4 is out, it will be nigh impossible to claim that any other operating system is as advanced and utterly astounding as linux, anyway :)

Xorg (the current X-server in Linux) is actually not inferior to the OSX-alternative. And in terms of effects, speed an useability, Linux has the advantage and it's about to get a LOT bigger:

Show's the current version of "Compiz Fusion" the resulting project from the merger of Beryl and Compiz, the two 3D Desktop systems of Linux.

That's incredible. That puts OS X to shame. There's even a dock! (Though I use Quicksilver + Path Finder ... :D) Is it difficult/time-consuming to get all these GUI plugins working properly? Also, what's RAM usage like? (I'm thinking of installing this on an old desktop with 256 MB ram.)