Err:"This hardware configuration is not supported"

dev_loop

3 posts in this topic

Hi,

I think I have read several postings in various topics where someone dd`ed the vmware image to a partition or entire disk for native install, and then wasn`t able to boot, seing the following error message:

"This hardware configuration is not supported by Darwin/x86"

However, I could not find postings showing a solution to this problem in the various topics.

I, too, ran into this error message and would like to know if this means, that my hardware is definitely not capable of running osx86 and therefore I should give up on it.

My CPU is a Pentium M which supports SSE2.

So, was anyone, who also encountered this problem, able to get os x86 running natively ?

And if yes: how did you do that ?

TIA.

Cheers,

dev_loop

Did you 'restore' OSX from inside VMWare onto a partition?

If so, there is a simple fix for this. You need to install Darwin 8.0.1 onto the partition first, making sure to format to HFS when it asks.

For a quick fix you can type this (which i found on another website):

Boot your PC using the Darwin 8.0.1 CD ... hit any key to enter boot options. Now you can specify the kernel and the Root Device.

Since my OSX instillation is on the 1st disk and the 2nd partition I would enter:

hd(0,2)mach_kernel rd=disk0s2

Replace the 1st number with the disk no. and the 2nd with partition no.

The only disadvantage to the one i just quoted is that you have to use the disk to boot.

Hope this helps! :)

Mareep2000, thanks for your help.

Yes, I did "Restore" it from within Mac OS X86 inside VMWare.

Since Maxxus supplied a new mach_kernel patch and CoreGraphics Patch I`m gonna do the VMWare install myself and not use deadmoos VMWare image anymore. Im gonna go through the steps you just suggested.

Cheers,

/dev/loop