Empty list of devices on Network Status control pangel

1 post in this topic

hi,

i have had my dell gx280 mac running with 10.4.7 fine for a while; i had even got the networking working with a pci card. however, i recently unplugged the network cable to move the machine, and plugged it back in... and wham! no network now. the switch is fine, and i even get a link light. however, i just cannot get the link back up.

on the status page it did report that the cable was not connected, but i knew that was lying, so i went ahead and removed the device from the 'network port configurations' list.

i then rebooted and tried to add the card again. it shows up on the list as soon as i ran the network control panel... clicked 'apply'... and nothing :( i can configure the card but nothing responds (i can't even see any traffic from the card on the network); Also, there is absolutely nothing listed under the 'Network Status' dropdown (even though there is a 'network port' configured').

i know the card has been detected; i can see it in the pci cards list on the system profiler, and it if found under the port configurations... but i can't do anything with it!

any help would be much appreciated!

thanks,

=== extra details ===

system profiler says:

Type: ethernet controller
bus: pci
slot: pci_1
vendor id: 0x1011
device id: 0x0009

(this seems to be a "tulip" "DEC|DECchip 21140 [FasterNet]" card, on the physical card, it says that it's a netgear fa310tx)

the console says that

kernel[0]: DEC21x4: Ethernet address xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx