Digi 003 Family — the New Pro Tools LE Generation

raven hell

5 posts in this topic

The 003 seems like a waste of coin. These days if you can't afford HD, the next best way to do Tools is to get one of the digital only Maudio interfaces and add your own front end. Maudio Transit+Apogee Mini-me or Profire Lightbridge+Apogee Rosetta+whatever pres/console you can afford are the two ways to do it. Maudio/Digidesign hardware is not exactly the best, you can get way better for the same money but if you need Pro Tools that would be the best way to go about it.

Anyways, if you're dead set on a control surface and you're asking if you should buy the 003 or the Project Mix, then I'd get the Project mix. That way you can spend the money you saved on 8 channels of pres with conversion (Onyx 800 maybe?).

My $0.02

With all due respect, I don't see how they could say at this point if the 003 is better because it hasn't been shipped yet. My recommendation was based on feature set which is almost identical to the 002 (002+ word clock=003). If you already have the project mix you should not even be considering anything Digidesign has to offer hardware wise unless you want to bankrupt yourself by going HD.

With all due respect, I don't see how they could say at this point if the 003 is better because it hasn't been shipped yet. My recommendation was based on feature set which is almost identical to the 002 (002+ word clock=003). If you already have the project mix you should not even be considering anything Digidesign has to offer hardware wise unless you want to bankrupt yourself by going HD.

I was just asking to advice one of my friends, just to know if my advice to buy a Project Mix was a good one!

Thanks for the opinion