Problem Dual Booting Linux/osx86

yuri1312

3 posts in this topic

Hello.

I've recently tried installing osx86 on my laptop using the "deadmoo" files and this howto guide, however, I still am unable to boot osx86.

I'm using a gentoo 2005.1 installation running GRUB boot loader and this is my current config on grub.conf:

title=Mac OS X

root (hd0,5)

makeactive

chainloader +1

I've also tried this

title=Mac OS X

rootnoverify (hd0,5)

savedefault

makeactive

chainloader +1

and this:

title=Mac OS X

root (hd0,5)

chainloader +1

with the first config I get a "Error12: Invalid Device Requested"

with the second config, I get a "Error1: Filename must be either an absolute filename or blocklist"

with the third config I get a "Error loading booter"

Can anyone please tell me what is wrong, since dd gave me no errors and if I mount the partition everything seems to be ok.

Thanks

Yuri1312

For me the following works, mine was on it's own physical disk though:

title        Mac OSX

root            (hd1,0)

savedefault

makeactive

chainloader  +1

I notice you have an "=" in the first line, I'm not sure that's necessary :S

Well actually from what I've tested it's the same thing to have the = or not.

I've tested the virtual machine on vmware and it works out gr8 and I've read that people have had success with native installations on the same disk where they have windows or linux. The only thing I believe could somehow cause this is that I'm using a logical partition for osx86 instead of a primary partition, but I'm not sure if it makes a diference. What do you guys think?

Update: I've tested changing to a primary partition (/dev/hda3) and redoing the dd process again from the .img file and it still doesn't boot :P I get the same errors as before using the grub config specified on the above post and this structure.

If anyone can help me solve i'd apreciate.

Thanks

Yuri1312