triple boot with 3 OS on same HD

sansblog

3 posts in this topic

Hello.

As many people , I started installing Mac OS x86 on an external HD ,then wondered if I could make it operate on one same HD.

Here is how I did it when I knew it was operating properly under Mac Osx:

1 make an image of your windows and linux existing and operating partitions.

2 boot with mac Os x86 installation dvd and prepare your partitons. YOU LOOSE XP and LINUX.

Remember you can have max 4 primary partitions or 3 primary, and up to 4 extended partitions.

Also remember you will be able to boot OS on primary partitions ( of course you can boot on extended but you have to modify boot.ini within windows and your MBR if you alter you HD configuration)

3 install your MAc OS (easy if you had an operating image previously burned on one Dvd)

4 Use images you made from Xp and Linux to restore them (of course restore them on same partition number: if Xp was on 1st one, restore it to the 1st one, assuming Mac is on another one)

5 I use linux boot loader to choose between linux and Xp.

boot xp and add your boot folder / modify boot.ini as mentionned in your documentation.

6 Done: you can choose Linux, (XP or Mac)

7 From Mac choice you can choose to boot Xp or Mac;

What I would like to do is adding Mac OS choice in my linux MBR (faster than choosing Xp then Mac).

If anyone knows where I can find linux compiled "chain0" used within xp.

What I would like to do is adding Mac OS choice in my linux MBR (faster than choosing Xp then Mac).

If anyone knows where I can find linux compiled "chain0" used within xp.

chain0 for Linux is the same file as you use for Windows, but I think you don't need this file.

Bootloaders like Grub or Lilo (you probably installed one of this) can boot OSX86 directly, just configure them.

chain0 for Linux is the same file as you use for Windows, but I think you don't need this file.

Bootloaders like Grub or Lilo (you probably installed one of this) can boot OSX86 directly, just configure them.

Thank you for your answer.

I 've configured Lilo and I can now choose and operate Mac os X x86 , Xp or Linux from lilo boot loader.

I thought it was more difficult just because Xp needs "chain0".