Vmware osx installed but poor performance

thecodecowboy

7 posts in this topic

Hi,

I have managed to get the original tiger vmware image running in VMWare workstation on a Dell Dimension 4500 P4 2Ghz 1GB RAM (not rocket science i know). However, the os runs really slowly - clicking the finder takes up to 30 seconds to respond? Is that normal? Is there anything I can do to speed things up? I have quit all applications running under the host os (windows XP)

Also, are there any instructions anywhere for getting osx under vmware to use the host os's network connection? This is my main reason for experimenting - I am a web designer and having a copy of Safari for testing would be VERY useful.

Thanks for any replies.

lukemack.

thanks but I have an SSE2 processor so dont think i need to load the SSE3 patches? or is that part of your signature?

do you mean run those commands from a terminal window within osx and then reboot? i dont think that will work as vmware will just load the same image again.

thanks but I have an SSE2 processor so dont think i need to load the SSE3 patches? or is that part of your signature?

do you mean run those commands from a terminal window within osx and then reboot? i dont think that will work as vmware will just load the same image again.

The patch enables your SSE2 processor to run powerpc applications.. ppc applications are not designed for SSE2 so you need to emulate SSE3 on your cpu.. install the patch.. its a must for SSE2 chips

Yes, open a console, type this and reboot.

The SSE3 link is not part of my signature, you should install it :(

It's true: VMware will load the same image again, but patched :)