Can I upgrade to 10.4.3 (SSE2)?

j353840

9 posts in this topic

I don't have the same processor as you but heres what i got.

Pentium M (centrino) 1.5 gighz. SSE2

I went ahead and applied the patch I got...

[ BEFORE ]

CPU Test 19.89

GCD Loop 80.46 4.24 Mops/sec

Floating Point Basic 35.72 848.60 Mflop/sec

vecLib FFT 7.09 233.96 Mflop/sec

Floating Point Library 50.94 8.87 Mops/sec

[ AFTER ]

CPU Test 42.25

GCD Loop 76.73 4.04 Mops/sec

Floating Point Basic 33.58 797.75 Mflop/sec

vecLib FFT 31.17 1.03 Gflop/sec

Floating Point Library 50.55 8.80 Mops/sec

TRY the update. Worst case --> Re-install

Heres a question- i installed the update and it still reports the Mac OS as version 10.4.1 even though Itunes now works and things are generally smoother- my question is it installed ? :)

Note also though that either since the update or since enabling sound by editing kext quicktime has ceased to work and safari is goosed also- using firefox atm

Heres a question- i installed the update and it still reports the Mac OS as version 10.4.1 even though Itunes now works and things are generally smoother- my question is it installed ? :)

Note also though that either since the update or since enabling sound by editing kext quicktime has ceased to work and safari is goosed also- using firefox atm

the update does not change your kernel.. you are still using 10.4.1 techinically with few enchancements..

as far as safari goes try unchecking the rosetta use option since its is complied for intel with the update.

hope this helps

the update does not change your kernel.. you are still using 10.4.1 techinically with few enchancements..

as far as safari goes try unchecking the rosetta use option since its is complied for intel with the update.

hope this helps

Cheers buddy, will do. One question how is this done ? Ive got the Sse 2 patches on aswell should that make any differences.

Cheers buddy, will do. One question how is this done ? Ive got the Sse 2 patches on aswell should that make any differences.

The patch basically emulates the G3 cpu to run the Powerpc application.. If the program is a Universial Binary it has the architecture designed to run on intel.. Therefore using the rosette option forces the program to use the emulator which slows down the application..

Just rightclick on the safari icon on your dock and click "show in finder"

once u have the safari in finder right click again and select "Get Info"

and uncheck the "use with rosetta" option..

for itunes forexample since we dont have it compiled for intel u still need to run it with Rosetta emulation.

The goal is to have all programs for mac a universial binary for the future

hope this helps.