ASRock P4Dual -- Verifying Video Memory Available?

4 posts in this topic

Is there any way to verify that the OS is getting to use all of the 128mb of shared video memory that is available? It looks to me like the OS is only getting 8mb (1016 mb show up when 1024 should, and when the OS boots it says 7mb are available). I just want to make sure that the OS can use more than 8mb of ram on the Intel GMA video chipset.

Is there any way to verify that the OS is getting to use all of the 128mb of shared video memory that is available? It looks to me like the OS is only getting 8mb (1016 mb show up when 1024 should, and when the OS boots it says 7mb are available). I just want to make sure that the OS can use more than 8mb of ram on the Intel GMA video chipset.

It should work, despite the information OS X shows you. I dual boot with XP and XP shows the information correctly.

I ask the same question as you in this forum and someone said, that Exposé and the ohther Quartz Extreme effects wouldn't work with only 8 MB. Seems reasonable to me. I'm using 1450x1050 resolution and all effects are very smooth. I think more than 8 MB video RAM is used.

DARWIN uses only 8mb. The OS uses more. Darwin is not the OS.

I think I understand the point your making, but I just want to clarify.

Darwin in fact IS the OS -- the interface is what is using the rest of the memory, and that is in-fact NOT the OS. Instead it is simply an application layer that runs on top of Darwin.

Is that what you meant?