Still waiting for root device error

X3M

8 posts in this topic

Hi All!

Everything stuck on 'Still waiting for root device '.

I've got Celeron D, EliteGroup (ECS) 661GX-M Motherboard (SiS® 661GX & 964L chipset), 80 Gb HDD with installed marklar-tiger.iso pached by Generic_OSx86_Install_DVD_Patcher_Release1.

Yes, I've checked MD5 checksum, and verified DVD after writing. There were no errors during installation.

I've already checked cable, jumpers, and tried to write 'rd=disk0s1' '-x -v' and so on in darwin promt. And I've got the same result. My HDD is the only IDE device, It's master and It is plugged in to IDE0.

PLEASE, SOMEBODY, HELP ME! :P

Is your DVD drive IDE? Did you burn the ISO or not? We need more information first.

I've burned dvd with nero, then i've installed Mac OS x86 from dvd, then plugged out dvd-reader. I've got only one IDE device and that's my system hdd.

Finally ... I've done it. I've reinstalled OSX86 and now everything works! Thanks everyone! :)

How did you solve the problem? I installed osx86 with only one hdd and a dvd burner and have this problem as well.....i tried to remove the dvd burner, set my hdd to single/master...but none of these work

How did you solve the problem? I installed osx86 with only one hdd and a dvd burner and have this problem as well.....i tried to remove the dvd burner, set my hdd to single/master...but none of these work

I don't really know. First time I've unsuccessfully tried to install it on one prtition disk scheme and second time I've successfully reinstalled it on _2_ partition disk scheme, because I wanted to make dual-boot system (mac os + win xp). That means, when you install you 'click the Volume Scheme drop down menu. It lists different schemes to choose from, so just select 2 Partition.' Also, I turned off second IDE interface in BIOS before installation. AND THAT WORKED FOR ME. :(

So .. If you have nothing else to do ... try it, it may help. :)

But first try F8 on boot and rd=disk0s1, and set your first boot device HD in BIOS and so on. Also, you can to do something with preloader, Darwin. But I've failed on this way, so I can't tell you exactly what to do after you get your boot Darwin CD. :))

Good luck.

I don't really know. First time I've unsuccessfully tried to install it on one prtition disk scheme and second time I've successfully reinstalled it on _2_ partition disk scheme, AND THAT WORKED FOR ME. :(

Thank you so much for telling me your procedure. It works fine for me. Now I can boot into OSX86. One thing to note is that using your method for install it also eliminates the AppleUSBTopCase.kext stall problem that I have previously experienced.

:(