Can't see any partitions or format my hard drive while trying to install, help please.

simon_dk

6 posts in this topic

Hello,

I hope someone has a solution for my (maybe very little, but definitely frustrating) problem. I've been trying for some time to google the problem in hope of finding some answers, but apparently no one has had the same problem.

I'm trying to install the "OSX 1048 AMD FINAL"-image from tubgirl, but can't get past the second window in OSX's installer. (It's the window where you chose where to install osx). There simply isn't any partitions to choose from. All I see is the 40 gb disk in the list on the left, above the DVD with the image i used to boot the machine and the installer. On my iBook i usually see my hard drive and its partitions and maybe an external firewire drive etc. But right now, on my AMD-based pc*, I can't see any drives or partitions to choose for installation. It's all blank - all i see is the 40 gb disk in the list on the left.

When I try to use disk utilities and format the drive for HFS, it just hangs and the blue bar only moves a couple of milimeters, then stays in the same place.

What to do, any suggestions?

AMD Athlon 64 3800+ X2

Winfast 6100M2MA (GeForce 6100) S-940

160gb Hitachi SATA2 and a 40gb IDE, Maxtor (i think its maxtor)

Inno3D 7300GS TC PCI-E

1 GB DDR, PC6400

From reading the guides, i guessed SATA wouldn't work, so I installed a 40 gb IDE disk and followed all the guides for formatting it and making a partition (resising a primary partition so I have at least 6gb free, use "diskpart" to make a new partition and so on). But still it doesn't work.

I'm trying to install the "OSX 1048 AMD FINAL"-image from tubgirl, .

well we have almost same hardware and I'm running the tubgirl fine on my hardware.

install only on pata ide hard disk, which i "prepared" with partiton magic under windows, only made fat32 partitions, which I deleted with the tubgirl dvd quick after booting it up, i dont know in english is called something like hard disk program...

there you pick the pata partiton you want to use, click to delete, NOT msdos or something else, do choose mac journaled+ and you can use it after 1 min. with the mac osx installer on the next screen...thats all.

Have you tried to erase the harddisk (The Disk itself, not the partition)? Zeroing could help, too.
I just tried it - but it does the exact same thing, the blue "partitioning-bar" only moves a couple of milimeters, then stops and stays there for hours. I just stopped it now.

well we have almost same hardware and I'm running the tubgirl fine on my hardware.

install only on pata ide hard disk, which i "prepared" with partiton magic under windows, only made fat32 partitions, which I deleted with the tubgirl dvd quick after booting it up, i dont know in english is called something like hard disk program...

there you pick the pata partiton you want to use, click to delete, NOT msdos or something else, do choose mac journaled+ and you can use it after 1 min. with the mac osx installer on the next screen...thats all.

So all I have to do (if i wanna to do like you did) is make a fat32 partition, and then I could delete it with the tubgirl dvd using "disk utilities"? I'm not quite sure I've tried it - will give it a go tomorrow. Until now i've been making space before a fat32 partition, and using diskpart etc like the guides say. But I can't se the fat32 partition I know is on the disk right know, after the 6gb partition i made with diskpart - wasn't I supose to see that now?

But thanks for the advice, i'll try it tomorrow and come back to you :( .

Maybe it's the disk that simply doesn't work with OSX installer? I have an original Apple 6gb disk i could try. But on the other hand, i've tried formatting the current 40 gb disk with my iBook, and it worked like a charm with HFS - hmmm ... dunno - any comments on that?

finally I'm getting somewhere! :-)

1. found my old pismo hard drive (6gb) and used it as an USB-disk

2. booted with the DVD as before, and now I could se partitions on the disk (fat32, i think)

3. (still no partitions on my 40 gb IDE, but one partition on the 6gb (now USB) pismo-hard drive)

4. Deleted the partition using HFS journaled

5. Choose my new HFS-partition and started the installation without printer driver, without extra languages, but with x11 and the nvidia option in the "hacks"-option (can't remember what it's called)

6. The installation finished (took very long time compared to an ordinary installation on my iBook), optimized and all, and it finally said "installation complete" - or something like that in english. (Danish: "installationen afsluttet"). Then I waited for some time, seems like the machine froze, i couldn't press the "continue" button - it was "ghosted". But then the button became "active" - but now, nothing happens when i press it - it only turns blue when i hold down the mouse button - but nothing seems to happen.

So: is it safe to end the installation (menubar at the top "Installation -> "End installation"), or should i wait and see if the installer reacts on my pressing the continue-button?

Funny thing ... I have the exact same problems as you. My motherboard's an Asus A832-SLI Deluxe, and I'm trying to install Mac OS X 10.4.7 on a 80GB Maxtor. I managed to complete the install with VMware, but I couldn't get it to boot natively any more (still waiting for root device). Could there be a problem with the Maxtors ?

I remember back in the day (on the same system) I was able to install and use 10.4.5. I don't remember exactly what I did, but the problems were the same - HD partition was not found in Disk Utility, and the erase/partition process would never finish.

Edit: I think it was in fact 10.4.3.

Edited by NSD