Can't install kexts

Charbucks

5 posts in this topic

I've just done a fresh install of JaS 10.4.8 sse2 (with ppf patch), and it works about as well as my old 10.4.6 system did, except I can't seem to get any kexts to load. I need skge.kext for my ethernet connection, and callisto for my ATI 9600 Pro, but neither of them are loaded when I put them in the extensions folder. I have made sure that ownership and permissions are correct, I've deleted the cache files, and still they are not loaded. With 10.4.6 I had almost everything working (except QE/CI), and I'm pretty sure I'm using the same methods - any idea what I might be doing wrong?

Has nobody else encountered this problem? I cannot do anything without being able to load extensions. I have tried everything I can think of - the script from Soundless, replacing the contents of one kext with the one I am trying to load, different versions of different kexts, etc. Is there something I need to enable to make the system load new extensions? When I look at the system log, there is no mention of attempting to load them. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

That used to happen to me sometimes too. I'm not sure what causes it, but after deleting the kextcaches and fixing permissions, I type this into a terminal:

sudo su

touch /system/library/extensions

shutdown -r now

The computer should reboot automatically and rebuilds the caches loading all applicable and properly installed kexts.

After rebooting, you'll want to check to see if the your kexts loaded under extensions in system profiler.

If they're not there, then maybe you're stuck in safemode or something... check your com.apple.Boot.plist for any flags you might have put in there that could be causing {censored} not to load. After you're sure that's not the problem, try bringing up a terminal and typing:

sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/skge.kext

If that doesn't give you any errors, check if the kext is listed in sytem profiler, if it is, then reboot.

If not? Then I have no idea.