Blue Gray Screen + Mouse on Startup or Boot

gregmay

6 posts in this topic

Hi! I've gotten to the point of booting into OSX86, and like a few others here my computer stalls on bootup. You get the Apple Symobl and whirling circle, and then the computer shuts down. If you attempt to use any command line options (-x, -f, -v, platform=OSX86, combination), you stall at a blue gray green screen and can move the mouse around. There are no icons, and the system doesn't respond to any key combinations I have tried.

I am using hardware that *should* work- the ASRock 775Dual-915GL with the Intel 915 graphics adapter. Other people have gotten this to work fine (even with SATA, which is what I am using). My processor supports SSE2 and SSE3, it's a P4 530J 3.0 GHz).

Troubleshooting steps I have tried include:

Repartitioning (and yes, my partitions are the correct format and are primary, I read several guides and followed their instructions closely)

DDing the image again (I'm using the Tiger flat x86 image)

Turning off audio and modem and USB in BIOS.

My hard drive, since it is SATA, cannot be changed to master/slave (of course). There is only one hard drive in the machine, with 3 partitions (XP, temp x86, remainder for use in full installation of x86).

I've read the FAQ, technical FAQ, and browsed the forums here and elsewhere, and haven't seen anybody who has posted a solution. Please help, or let me know if you have similar problems and what you have/haven't tried.

DDing the image again (I'm using the Tiger flat x86 image)

Try to verify (md5) that the image is not corrupt.

Try generic patch dvd boot install.

SATA too big ? what size? and placement and number of partitions on SATA drive?

This setup definitely works with a Seagate 160 GB SATA, deadmoo image.

Try to verify (md5) that the image is not corrupt.

Try generic patch dvd boot install.

SATA too big ? what size? and placement and number of partitions on SATA drive?

This setup definitely works with a Seagate 160 GB SATA, deadmoo image.

The SATA is a 250 GB drive. Is there a limitation that I didn't know about? The partitions are:

1) 200 GB, XP

2) 6.8 GB, for temp Mac

3) remainder for permanent Mac

I verified the MD5 of the image. What is the generic patch DVD boot install? If you mean the bootable DVD that is mentioned in the Wiki, I did not understand all of the details- so no, I haven't tried it.

Thanks!

There are some reports that the deadmoo image or OSX86 in general will not boot beyond 127GB. You can search for that.

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?sh...33&hl=partition

I managed to install OSX86 at last.

For those who faced similar problem like me, here is my solution.

Just create the primary AF partition with diskpart within 128GB.

Then reformat (ERASE) that partition as MacFS extended with DiskUtilties during installation of OSx86.

The primary AF partition created by Diskpart won't show up in the installer until it is reformatted (ERASE) by DiskUtilities. Once reformatted by DiskUtilities, the primary will show up in the installer and you can select the partition to install OSX86 on it.

Thanks for the info! I hadn't known about that, and I'll give it a shot. From what I'm reading, I just need to format the disk so that the Mac partition is within that first area (completely), but I can create an additional NTFS or FAT partition after that.

I'll give it a shot.