Suse Linux + Mac OSX

MoldyBread

6 posts in this topic

Specs (to get things rolling without delays)

Intel Pentium 4 3.0E with sse3

Asus P4P800 SE

Realtek 8139 (forinternet, Marvell won't work)

(I got no sound)

ATI Radeon 9800 PRO (Deleted kexts, boots fine!

1gb ddr 2700 ram

What I have dome is made 2 raw partitions on a 80 gb drive, linux on one and OS X on the other, I have suse 9.3 and OS X Generic DVD. I want to dual boot them, but I don't know how help? I have intalled OS X on the 80 GB alone and it worked, but I want linux as well!

Specs (to get things rolling without delays)

Intel Pentium 4 3.0E with sse3

Asus P4P800 SE

Realtek 8139 (forinternet, Marvell won't work)

(I got no sound)

ATI Radeon 9800 PRO (Deleted kexts, boots fine!

1gb ddr 2700 ram

What I have dome is made 2 raw partitions on a 80 gb drive, linux on one and OS X on the other, I have suse 9.3 and OS X Generic DVD. I want to dual boot them, but I don't know how help? I have intalled OS X on the 80 GB alone and it worked, but I want linux as well!

If you still have OSX86 and Suse installed, you just need a bootloader like Grub, else take a look how to make a multiboot:

Very simple tri-boot method made in 4-5 hours for 3 OS no matter if you use dd or the DVD, just install OSX86 first.

Example with a triple boot OSX86 (HSF+), XP (NTFS), Suse (ReiserFS) and a data partition (FAT32) on a notebook 30 GB and Grub as bootloader:

1) installed OSX86 with a Linux-live-cd and dd method, use the DVD if you prefer

2) #cfdisk /dev/hda in a root shell with the same live-cd and I should see:

/dev/hda1 -- 6.5 GB --af (was made during the OSX86 install with dd)

With 23,5 GB rest I make (in this order):

1 primary ntfs (8GB) NTFS (code 07) will be /dev/hda2

1 logical swap; double from my RAM (code82) will be /dev/hda5

1 logical linux 8GB (code 83) will be /dev/hda6

1 logical fat32 with the 6,,1GB rest from the hd (code 0C) will be /dev/hda7

So I have hda1=HFS+ 6,5GB, hda2=NTFS 8GB, hda5=swap 1GB, hda6= linux 8GB, hda7= FAT32 6,2GB on a 30GB HD

I installed OSX86 via dd on hda1 (first), XP on hda2, Suse on hda6, hda7 is a data partition for all in FAT 32. I installed XP after OSX86 but before Suse 9.3 with Grub as bootloader. XP & Linux found the partitions automaticly that I made directly after the OSX86 installation.

I use Grub (delivered with Suse 9.3) as bootloader with this config:

title OSX86

root (hd0,0)

chainloader +1

title XP

root (hd0,1)

chainloader +1

title Suse

kernel (hd0,5)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda6 vga=0x317 splash=silent resume=/dev/hda5 showopts

initrd (hd0,5)/boot/initrd

Note: I tried to install XP in a logical, but no luck it wants a primary when OSX86 is also a primary partition :)

If you don' have a linux live-CD, use Knoppix or here's one with only 50MB (dd and cfisk on it):

http://www.inside-security.de/insert_en.html

• 8 months later...

Hi... I have a small problem in here:

I wanted to install, Windows, Mac OS X and SUSE Linux, on my PC.

I used this tutorial to install the first 2 SO's: Tutorial

The only diference is that I didn't install the Boot Loader, I was waiting for the SUSE to install Grub or Lilo.

I used a startup disk with spfdisk, like mentioned on the tutorial, to change the active partition, between Windows and Mac OS X. And I managed to enter in both of the SO's and everything was right.

The problem is when I installed SUSE, I installed Grub for the Boot Loader. I added Mac OS X's partition to the menu, but when I try Booting into this SO it gives me the message:

HFS+ Partition Error... strange:s

I've tryied everything and still ain't got a clue...

Any Help or Advice is Welcome:D

Thanks in Advance :hysterical:

• 4 months later...
DrJägermeister

1) installed OSX86 with a Linux-live-cd and dd method, use the DVD if you prefer

2) #cfdisk /dev/hda in a root shell with the same live-cd and I should see:

/dev/hda1 -- 6.5 GB --af (was made during the OSX86 install with dd)

i had one partition for linux and one for osx86 10.4.1. i installed with dd method (deadmoo image).

i had no problems with bootloader. my problem is this:

the size of the second partition is 15GB. the installed osx takes up 4GB and the free space is 2GB. can i increase the free space so that i have total 15GB (osx + free space)?

• 1 year later...

Running Vista Ultimate and Leopard 10.5.4 on AMD 6400 2 gig ram ATI Radeon 3870 gigabyte gama790fx motherboard with ralink wireless card and gigabit ethernet!!

Everything is working fine and dandy and all apps run smooth well the ones that i use and require!

This thing even picks up my Logitech wirless keyboard and mouse

• 5 months later...

This is prob the most simplest non-programmable, but technical way.

Heres what you neeed.

• A dope ass motherboard/BIOS that can boot from a usb drive.
  • 8GB usb drive for open suse
  • 1 Hard drive for windows.
  • 1 Hard drive for OSX

Just before you start make sure you can boot form your USB drive. If so thats good. Install OpenSuse on this drive, It will take like 2 hours but its well worth it. Note that Linux will run really slow, im only using this for the bootload so i dont care.

Once installation is complete.

Set the bootdevice to the hard drive for windoes. install xp or vista..

Once tahts done.

Set the bootdevice to the osx hard drive. Install OSX.

Now try to boot from each drive making sure they all work. Now set the hard drive in this order.

1. USB
  2. OSX drive
  3. Windows drive.

edit your menu.lst in open suse.

title Leopard

rootnoverify
(hd0,0)

chainloader +1

title Vista

rootnoverify (hd1,0)

chainloader +1

And save it and boot. They should work fine, if not adjust the main drive number.

from rootnoverify (hd0,0) to rootnoverify (hd1,0)

This will save you so much booting errors if done right. Plus you can add on other OS's if you want with more hard drives.