Screwed MacBook

6 posts in this topic

Basically, I know nothing about Macs coming from PCs, and somethings gone and messed up somewhere. From what I can tell, the driver for the Mac partition (I have Xp installed on seperate partition) has been deleted. I get an error in the Single-User mode saying that it "couldnt allocate class "AppleACPIPlatformExpert" and "Panic (cpu caller 0x0039BC83)", "4 potential args on stack". I've tried the installation disk and the disk utility, but I dont have enough space on the mac partition to reinstall OSX without losing my work which cant happen. If anyones got any advice or an answer, could you email me at shortstuffdotcom@gmail.com. Would be very appreciated.

Basically, I know nothing about Macs coming from PCs, and somethings gone and messed up somewhere. From what I can tell, the driver for the Mac partition (I have Xp installed on seperate partition) has been deleted. I get an error in the Single-User mode saying that it "couldnt allocate class "AppleACPIPlatformExpert" and "Panic (cpu caller 0x0039BC83)", "4 potential args on stack". I've tried the installation disk and the disk utility, but I dont have enough space on the mac partition to reinstall OSX without losing my work which cant happen. If anyones got any advice or an answer, could you email me at shortstuffdotcom@gmail.com. Would be very appreciated.

If your Macbook has firewire you could get an external firewire hard drive and install OSX on that which would be bootable. I don't think USB drives will boot. You should then be able to see all your OSX stuff on your internal drive. Maybe you could transfer what you need to external partitions etc and wipe the internal drive and re-do it all.

Good luck.

If your Macbook has firewire you could get an external firewire hard drive and install OSX on that which would be bootable. I don't think USB drives will boot. You should then be able to see all your OSX stuff on your internal drive. Maybe you could transfer what you need to external partitions etc and wipe the internal drive and re-do it all.

Good luck.

Cheers for the idea, thought about doing it, but didnt think you could boot off any external drives at all. If not I think somewhere I read about booting the macbook so that it becomes a really expensive £1700 external hard drive. I@ll give it a shout and keep you posted. Cheers again for the advice

Hey!

Try booting in Firewire mode if you have access to another mac. In firewire mode the internal macbook harddisk pops up on another machine as an extrenal firewire disk. You have to hold a key when booting, maybe f or something, but google holds the answer.

Than you can easily back up your data and reinstall a clean osx. If you don't have another mac. Use any other windows computer with macdrive or a linux pc with hfs+ support.