Today's unhappy experience of buying a new MBP 17"

9 posts in this topic

Today I went to the Dgital Store (Apple reseller) in my town (in U.K.) to buy a Macbook Pro 17".

The only one in the store had an awful and terrible screen and the manager wanted me to take another one on Monday.

So how awful and terrible the screen is?

1. The area near the top left corner is obviously darker than all the remaining area.

2. About one inch to the top right corner along the top of the screen, there is a light leakage area of of 3-inch length and 2-inch height.

3. At both the bottom left and bottom right corners, it seems that the screen frame has higher pressure on the screen, which causes uneven brightness.

4. If you look a little far away from the screen, you will see the whole screen has many darker areas and brighter areas.

Also I noticed the black laptop box was sealed by a section of normal plastic tape, which made me doubt I was buying a genuine new one.

I had a Powerbook before and I still have the box. It was sealed by a round shape plastic tape.

So can I ask how your laptop box was sealed?

Edited by dragonpool

I remember when I bought G4 PowerBook several years ago, the Apple Store asked for some of my personal detailes such as address, birthday, etc.

But this time, the store did not want anything except the payment from me.

Could somebody please confirm this is normal?

Is the-one-year Apple Care Plan automatically coming with a new machine, starting from the date on the purchase receipt?

And are there any other documents besides the purchase receipt?

By the way, the store is indeed an Apple Premium Reseller. I found it through Apple's own web page.

Edited by dragonpool

My unhappy experience is getting worse today.

This afternoon, I went to the store again. I checked two new MBP 17". The screens have almost the same problems as the one opened last time.

The most common problem is there is a line of light leakage along the bottom of the screen.

I'm pretty sure this time the Manager showed me two new originally sealed ones.

After I checked two new ones, the manager he himself opened all other new MBP 17" in his store. It turned out that they all have the same problems.

It seems the store has got a bad batch.

Finally I got full refund.

Should I be disappointed with Apple from now on?

Should I be disappointed with Apple from now on?

I would say no. If you would have experienced this issue at an actual Apple Store, then _maybe_ you should be a little disappointed with them but even then - stuff happens. Thats why you have 15 to 30 days for returns and exchanges...