USB Hard Drive Stalls

Smallsy

6 posts in this topic

Hi,

I have a usb hard drive that I just connected to my macbook. The hard drive spins up and is recognized by the system but while I'm copying files to it, the hard drive simply stalls and I end up having to reboot.

I tried the drive on a windows vista RC2 partition I have on this laptop and it works flawlessly.

Any insight anyone might have on this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

I have a usb hard drive that I just connected to my macbook. The hard drive spins up and is recognized by the system but while I'm copying files to it, the hard drive simply stalls and I end up having to reboot.

I tried the drive on a windows vista RC2 partition I have on this laptop and it works flawlessly.

Any insight anyone might have on this problem would be greatly appreciated.

I would check the system.log (/var/log/system.log). You will probably find the USB error listed there. I had a similar problem and a powered hib solved it. My log was populated with "transactions past the completion timeout" or something like that.

I would check the system.log (/var/log/system.log). You will probably find the USB error listed there. I had a similar problem and a powered hib solved it. My log was populated with "transactions past the completion timeout" or something like that.

I checked the log and this is what it gives me:

Jan 1 21:04:43 jordan-reddekopps-computer kernel[0]: USBF: 251.625 AppleUSBEHCI[0x37cd000]::Found a transaction past the completion deadline on bus 253, timing out!

That was on the log two times in a row and the file copy dialog is still open

• 2 weeks later...