Which Image?

crater

6 posts in this topic

Well i've got a new batch of PC parts on the way.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ Socket AM2

1 gig (2x 512 mb Sticks, for Dual Channel)

ASUS Vintage V2-AH2 Barebone Rigg.

I did a OSX86 install back with the Developer release of 10.4.1 on an Older AMD Athlon 64 Laptop, and had a decent experience, install went well, but has a lot of compatibility problems. Anyway I'm going to go ahead and try again with the new releases. The problem. I'm not sure which to grab.

I see these two

OSX 1048 AMD FINAL

and

JAS 10.4.8 OSx86 10.4.8 Patched DVD SSE3

Is there a difference between the Two? Is the JAS one Patched for AMD or Not? THe X2 HAS SSE3, so it should be fine if it is right? Which one do you suggest if they are both AMD compatible? Are there other things i need to think about before installing? I'll be Tripple booting with Xp, Gentoo, and OSx, I already know that install proccess as i did it before, so i should be fine in those respects.

Thanks

well amd final is the only dvd i've had problems with unfortunately. where is this jas dvd you mentioned?

I have AMD X64 X2 4200+, X1600Pro 512 MB and 1.5 GB of RAM i have no idea whether these play any roles in the troublesome installation i'm having with AMD FINAL dvd, so i cannot say totally, it's brand new so i haven't heard of any success or failure from others of the dvd on what hardware yet :)

As i posted in the AMD FINAL thread, i've made a succesful install and boot now using the AMD FINAL on tpb, haven't tried the other one so i cannot compare

Sorry to double post but that other iso image is intel SSE3 only i suggest going with AMD final

Yeah, i went with AMD Final, and after install (which went just fine) reboot left me with a bunch of zeroes all over the screen.. so i poped in my XP CD and booted into Recovery console and fixed the MBR so i could get back to windows. Going to install Ubuntu i guess so i can use Grub as the boot loader.