System becomes corrupt after some time of use...

Snollygoster

7 posts in this topic

Dear all,

I have been using OSx86 for almost a year now, customising my hardware to be OSx86 compatible.

I now have 10.4.8 with R2D2 loaded with the original Apple kernel not a Semthex or some other version using Boris method for my X1600 to work and I also have a Sound Blaster Live External 24 bit for my audio needs. The motherboard is an ASUS 5PLD2-VM which is known to be very compatible.

The original installation dvd was a JaS 10.4.6 and after that I applied the patched updates.

The system has been running more than fine for a couple of months now however in the last few weeks the following issue occurs:

After using the system for a couple of hours it becomes unstable. Applications refuse to start (something like an unknown error - 10810). Also some times cds or dvds fail to mount. Disk utility will launch having the menu bar display its menus but the main window never comes up. The system is pretty much unusable until I restart it.

Restart fixes everything. And I mean everything. No more issues until they occur again in some random time (quite often though). Does anyone else has the same experience...?

Only unusual thing I did is after i installed the logitech drivers and I have a proper UK keyboard layout I delete the Roman.layout because otherwise it would force mo to have both the American and the Logitech UK layout. I can't remember anything else unusual apart from installing and uninstalling several apps to check them out (using Appzaper for that)...

Is there anyone who can give me any insights?

Kind Regards,

George

Edited by Snollygoster

Try booting your install DVD and going to Disk Utility and run Repair Disk. See if it finds any errors.

Do you mean repair permissions? If this is the case I have done that in my installation after a fresh restart and it doesn't give me any errors. Remember disk utility and other applications fail to launch up until I restart the system.

First of all thank you all for helping.

I did the Disk Repair and the only message I got was that Volume Header needs minor repair. And Disk Repair fixed it.

I still have the same issues though after that. Plus if I leave my system idle then sometimes the disk start working for no apparent reason. And it never ends (it works like it defrags the disk or something - cosntant activity - but it never ends until I hard reset) and makes the system unusuable.

Please not that I also have Vista, XP, Linux on different disks same system and they work flawlessly.

Thank you.

• 2 months later...

I think I have the same problem with u. After some time of using, some program gonna have error and when checked in the disk Ulilties, then a volume header problem will be found.

What hardware are u using??

I am using

ASUS P5VMSE-VM2 ----- MB

Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 ----- CPU

WD 250 Gb ------ HD

Cosair 1 Gb ram -------Ram

GMA950 -------- On board Display