Successful Install on ECS KN1 Extreme

TheGoog

12 posts in this topic

Used the Developers DVD with the Release1 patch. Had to do the regular stuff to get the audio working. The realtek lan was recognized immediately. After I installed Vista 5231 on my sata drive OSX stopped seeing and mounting my backup partition on the pata drive. (Music, etc) So thats slightly frustrating, but it worked at one point, so there must be a solution.

Hardware.

ECS KN1 Extreme nForce4 mobo.

AMD64 3000+ Venice core.

1024 generic DDR400

300 GB Maxtor PATA

80 GB Maxtor SATA

etc.

What works:

Audio works.

Onboard Realtek Lan works.

Performance is pretty good all-around. Feels very similar to the Dual-G5's I use at school.

What Doesnt:

ATi video isnt recognized by the OS, obviously

Wont see my NTFS drives anymore.

Currently Quad booting - WinXP, Win Vista, OSX86, and Mandriva

I love it.

I'm not worried about SATA access. But the fact that My PATA NTFS partition was mounted before, but wont mount now kinda ticks me off.

And I did the modified nForce ATA kext. Worked wonderfully. That is until I rebooted. Bleh.

Also, fixed the ATA operformance issues last night where the performance gain was lost after a 3nd boot. Can't remember where I found it, but it was on this board. Now as soon as I can get OSX to mount my NTFS partition I'll be very content.

Not sure, and I'm in class right now so I wont be able to check till later.

But could you explain the differences of the two and how they affect OSX?

Thanks.

AFAIK Mac OS X only see primary partitions, but I need to do some test to confirm that.

AFAIK Mac OS X only see primary partitions, but I need to do some test to confirm that.

Well, I may have to counter that, as the partition was apparently a Logical partition, but OSX had loaded it. But now I changed it to Primary and I still get the same issue where I can see it in the OSX Disk Utility, but OSX wont mount it.

Well, I may have to counter that, as the partition was apparently a Logical partition, but OSX had loaded it. But now I changed it to Primary and I still get the same issue where I can see it in the OSX Disk Utility, but OSX wont mount it.

In the man page of NTFS mount it describes some limitations, like compressed file/disk.

Ok, I discovered a solution to the problem with my NTFS drive. The problem started after I resized the partition. (didnt think of it at first) and all I did was backup my files, and formatted the drive in windowsXP, using the default NTFS values. Booted back into OSX, and everything was fine!

I'd suggest trying that to anyone having similar problems.

• 2 weeks later...
Used the Developers DVD with the Release1 patch. Had to do the regular stuff to get the audio working. The realtek lan was recognized immediately. After I installed Vista 5231 on my sata drive OSX stopped seeing and mounting my backup partition on the pata drive. (Music, etc) So thats slightly frustrating, but it worked at one point, so there must be a solution.

Hardware.

ECS KN1 Extreme nForce4 mobo.

AMD64 3000+ Venice core.

1024 generic DDR400

300 GB Maxtor PATA

80 GB Maxtor SATA

etc.

What works:

Audio works.

Onboard Realtek Lan works.

Performance is pretty good all-around. Feels very similar to the Dual-G5's I use at school.

What Doesnt:

ATi video isnt recognized by the OS, obviously

Wont see my NTFS drives anymore.

Currently Quad booting - WinXP, Win Vista, OSX86, and Mandriva

I love it.

hey, i was thinking about purchasing this mobo, can you confirm exactly what works?

thanks in advance,

jordn