Spoofed eGPU Causes Kernel Panic

Fortitude

4 posts in this topic

I cannot for the life of me get my external graphics card working properly with macOS Ventura. It’s an AMD Radeon RX 6950 XT connected to an Alienware Graphics Amplifier which is then connected to my Alienware Area 51m R2 laptop. I’ve managed to create a bridge device and spoofing SSDTs and also tried using the device properties to spoof the device-id. I’ve even tried flashing my graphics card with the 6900 XT vBIOS.

However, I always get a page fault whenever the external graphics card is plugged in at boot initialization and never reach the login screen. I know that the card is getting recognized because my external monitor brings me to a black screen. In case this is an important point to mention, the amplifier only started working properly in Windows after applying the HackFlags DWORD to the registry.

image.thumb.png.16cf12e04378070ba0cf1721dbc5b898.png

image.thumb.png.eafe2fa5d5eef13eaf8bc653eecb4c33.png

image.png

Screenshot 2024-04-12 at 6.25.20 PM.png

SSDT-BRG0.aml SSDT-GPU-SPOOF.aml

Edited by Fortitude

Posted (edited)

I've just tested it out, but unfortunately, it doesn't appear to work either. Come to think about it, I’m not even sure if macOS sees this external GPU as an eGPU because the Alienware Graphics Amplifier connects over PCIe instead of Thunderbolt. It looks like the operating system sees this as a second internal GPU along with my AMD Radeon RX 5700M

.image.thumb.png.2bf8e9db27172dcd433d933f07a75317.png

Edited by Fortitude

I’ve been doing some research and found this video where a user with the original Alienware Area 51m managed to make use of an amplifier with his Hackintosh. This was before Dell allowed you to configure the system with an AMD graphics card, hence, an amplifier was used to get a display output. This makes me wonder if the issues that I’m having may be related to WEG auto-renaming the GPUs? I'm not sure if GFX1 is a valid name for the graphics, and if I try calling it GFX0, the eGPU still gets called GFX1 in the end. (Apparently, eGPUs in macOS are called EGFX.) Does anyone know if it’s possible to prevent WEG from auto-renaming all of the GPUs? I can’t disable WEG because I need agdpmod=pikera to prevent a black screen.