[TOOL] VirtualBiosMod -- safely MOD your firmware BIOS without flashing requirement

serdeliuk

8 posts in this topic

Hi,

!!! WARNING !!! this tool is provided AS IS without any warranty, will modify your computer's B.I.O.S. settings, pay attention if you play with CPU/RAM settings/voltages, can be harmful.

This is an UEFI  app that can be booted by any UEFI bios, just select the VirtualBIosMod.efi as boot target from your  USB stick and the interface will load.

The tool is not yet finalized, and currently the binaries form the GitHub supports only a few Asus Rog Strix models, was tested mainly on my Asus ROG Strix G 531GT on which I have disabled the  Nvidia card to save the battery life, was tested on a few HP and a few  DELL notebooks either

Note, if you disable the  Nvidia card will be disabled  for any OS, not only for OSX/Hackintosh. Actually  any settings you alter will be globally modified.

You may find interesting this tool, will help you to MOD your B.I.O.S without requirement to MOD and flash your motherboard firmware.

The tooL: VirtualBiosMod

And the Wiki: VirtualBiosMod Wiki

In order to add support for any other computer you may need to follow the Wiki. At some point I will add a config.plist in order to make the tool easily configurable for any computer.

Enjoy.

VirtualBiosMod.1.0.13.gif

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, serdeliuk said:

Hi,

!!! WARNING !!! this tool is provided AS IS without any warranty, will modify your computer's B.I.O.S. settings, pay attention if you play with CPU/RAM settings/voltages, can be harmful.

This is an UEFI  app that can be booted by any UEFI bios, just select the VirtualBIosMod.efi as boot target from your  USB stick and the interface will load.

The tool is not yet finalized, and currently the binaries form the GitHub supports only a few Asus Rog Strix models, was tested mainly on my Asus ROG Strix G 531GT on which I have disabled the  Nvidia card to save the battery life, was tested on a few HP and a few  DELL notebooks either

Note, if you disable the  Nvidia card will be disabled  for any OS, not only for OSX/Hackintosh. Actually  any settings you alter will be globally modified.

You may find interesting this tool, will help you to MOD your B.I.O.S without requirement to MOD and flash your motherboard firmware.

The tooL: VirtualBiosMod

And the Wiki: VirtualBiosMod Wiki

In order to add support for any other computer you may need to follow the Wiki. At some point I will add a config.plist in order to make the tool easily configurable for any computer.

Enjoy.

VirtualBiosMod.1.0.13.gif

Looks very interesting! :)

well done!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, feartech said:

Looks very interesting! :)

well done!

Thank you, indeed, i was driven by the fact that I didn't want to flash my firmware haphazardly, and knowing that the bios unlock (alter bios uefi settings) via grub is possible gives birth to this tool....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, serdeliuk said:

Thank you, indeed, i was driven by the fact that I didn't want to flash my firmware haphazardly, and knowing that the bios unlock (alter bios uefi settings) via grub is possible gives birth to this tool....

I went a different route, downloaded and modded the bios of my laptop to disable nvidia card and to disable intel platform trust technology etc

not something I would recommend to anyone else but it was fun :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, feartech said:

I went a different route, downloaded and modded the bios of my laptop to disable nvidia card and to disable intel platform trust technology etc

not something I would recommend to anyone else but it was fun :)

Indeed, it is fun, I love hacking  things, but my notebook require complete disassembly to find the flash chip to write a good firmware in case of a disaster, knowing that there is a patched grub that can alter bios unlock settings fired my curiosity, why not other settings, and almost all settings can be set with proper knowledge via custom VirtualBiosMod.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, serdeliuk said:

Indeed, it is fun, I love hacking  things, but my notebook require complete disassembly to find the flash chip to write a good firmware in case of a disaster, knowing that there is a patched grub that can alter bios unlock settings fired my curiosity, why not other settings, and almost all settings can be set with proper knowledge via custom VirtualBiosMod.

it does seem that your way is a lot safer

assume if something goes wrong then a simple bios reset would fix things up?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, feartech said:

it does seem that your way is a lot safer

assume if something goes wrong then a simple bios reset would fix things up?

Indeed, a lot safer. If something goes wrong and the computer still reboot a load bios defaults will remove any custom mods, in case that the  computer does not boot, cmos battery should be removed or bios reset push button pressed, if available, but the battery removal for a few seconds should do the trick anyways.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, serdeliuk said:

Indeed, a lot safer. If something goes wrong and the computer still reboot a load bios defaults will remove any custom mods, in case that the  computer does not boot, cmos battery should be removed or bios reset push button pressed, if available, but the battery removal for a few seconds should do the trick anyways.

I think a lot of user's would be glad to hear that!

again... well done on your work! :)

• Like 1