Optimal file system for collaboration between three operating systems.

DJArty

19 posts in this topic

Hello!
What is the optimal file system for collaboration between three operating systems (Ubuntu 22.04 / Win 10 / macOS Sonoma)?
Need separate partition with good speed (nvme ssd), no problems with file permissions,  read/write, automount etc.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DJArty said:

Hello!
What is the optimal file system for collaboration between three operating systems (Ubuntu 22.04 / Win 10 / macOS Sonoma)?
Need separate partition with good speed (nvme ssd), no problems with file permissions,  read/write, automount etc.

NTFS/exFat can be easily readable on macOS, but what kind of file permissions are we talking about? You mean like apfs or hfs+ (the ones you can set via chmod/chown)? If yes, then there's no option for you.

9 hours ago, Menelkir said:

what kind of file permissions

I mean after mount/automount  in macOS in Linux in Win I dont have a problem with read/write any files and dont have warnings like "this user dont have permission to write to / read from this disk/folder, or need admin password, no problem with files creation/modification date/time etc"

Ok - main votes for exFAT, know about it, but may be some new and cool universal FS for 2024? )

Edited by DJArty

4 hours ago, DJArty said:

but may be some new and cool universal FS for 2024? )

There's lots of filesystems that could actually be a good "universal filesystem", like ext4 (journaled, capable, different from the mess exFAT actually is), but apple and microsoft would never adopt it.

Apple have support for exFAT because of digital devices such as cameras.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DJArty said:

Ok - main votes for exFAT, know about it, but may be some new and cool universal FS for 2024? )

Very cool but not quite "new", another contender is… ZFS!

OpenZFS is available for your three OS (with Windows, for once, having the lesser support).

The easiest way to share data is actually to setup a NAS with a SMB share.

Edited by etorix

14 hours ago, etorix said:

a SMB share.

No, thank you )   Have an NFS share. 
As described this is for local PC share disk space between 3 OSes .

Already done - exFAT.

Now time to think about make some changes to symlink or something like this for e.g. Downloads folder. So by default all saved on this exFAT not on APFS.
Of course it is possible just by browser settings but think need some global solution for systemwide switch.

21 hours ago, Slice said:

EXT4 has license GPL 2 or much which don't allow use it in commercial project such as macOS or Windows. 

You can, you just need to release the source code of what you did.

Also, note macOS have many GPL2 parts built in (bash 3.x still there and it's GPL2 for example).

1 hour ago, Menelkir said:

You can, you just need to release the source code of what you did.

Also, note macOS have many GPL2 parts built in (bash 3.x still there and it's GPL2 for example).

Apple published some sources of macOS which has such license. But these sources mostly useless because real programs contains private part.

I am not a lawyer but I know GPL liked in Linux world and avoided in the rest world. 

Do you know why EDKII project doesn't contain sources of EXT2/4? Yes, because of GPL.

https://github.com/tianocore/edk2 

10 minutes ago, Slice said:

Apple published some sources of macOS which has such license. But these sources mostly useless because real programs contains private part.

I am not a lawyer but I know GPL liked in Linux world and avoided in the rest world. 

Do you know why EDKII project doesn't contain sources of EXT2/4? Yes, because of GPL.

https://github.com/tianocore/edk2 

The reason it's because BSD licenses aren't compatible with GPL at all (edk2 is BSD 2-clause), it's the same reason why linux kernel doesn't have anything BSD licensed and FreeBSD kernel doesn't have anything GPL licensed.

GPL2 is fine, you just need to share the source with your modifications and that's it. GPL3 on other hand...

Edited by Menelkir
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Slice said:

I don't know, I am not a lawyer. I just see the world.

Isn't about being a lawyer, it's literally there in the license. BSD you can grab the source and use as you see fit without releasing any source (FreeBSD home page have good examples such as this one), GPL forces you to do that (which makes incompatible with permissive licenses like CDDL, that's why the kernel can be shipped with ZFS for example).

On the world side: Netflix and Juniper uses BSD because they can do whatever they feel like with the kernel, meanwhile android is comfortable with being GPL because it's just the kernel being GPL, the entire userland is completely separated (doesn't even follow a linux distribution guideline to begin with).

3 hours ago, cankiulascmnfye said:

I am using ExFAT for exchanging files between macOS and Windows as well. Linusx doesn't support it natively, so you have to install the driver for it.

FUSE works the same as macFUSE, which is actually good since you don't need a kernel driver but an userland implementation (which is what fuse does).

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Sorry for resurrecting a dormant discussion, but I'm currently faced with this issue and am looking at possible solutions.  Is UDF an option?  I've seen articles about using UDF for non-optical media, but haven't researched much yet.