Installing Sonoma on an unsupported (non-AVX2) CPU

verdazil

22 posts in this topic

Hi to All!

The full installer for Sonoma RC has not been published, so I made a bootable USB flash drive for Sonoma 14.0.0.23A5337a

Started installation on this machine:

MB: Huananzhi X79-ZD3
CPU: Intel® Xeon E5-2689, 1.2-3.6 GHz
Chipset: Sandy Bridge-E Q65 (C600/C200)
Memory: Samsung 32 Gb (4 x 8 Gb) ECC/REG, 1866 MHz, DDR3
Video: Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 570 (4 Gb)
Monitor: BENQ-BL2711U
SSD: Samsung SSD 850 EVO, 250 Gb
HDD: Seagate ST2000DM008-2FR102, 2.0 Tb
Wi-Fi: Qualcomm Atheros AR938x Wireless Network Adapter

Unsupported processor (non-AVX2), outdated graphics and outdated Wi-Fi

Waited for the machine to enter a reboot loop due to a kernel panic (non-AVX2 CPU). It is assumed that at this stage you need to replace the native os.dmg with a similar one from the distribution for Apple processors.
However, to my great surprise, the system completed the required number of reboots and returned to the desktop.
I don't understand anything... How so?! Has Apple really returned the necessary system files to the system? How to check?

I ran the Root-patch in OpenCore Legacy Patcher and after a reboot I got a fully functional system
- Graphics with acceleration
- Sound
- LAN
-Wi-Fi
- USB
- SpeedStep, Turbo Boost

Edited by verdazil

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, i have same issue with the MacOS 14.0, was installed without problems but post install loop restart with kp, when i mount preboot Sonoma in Monterey i have an error and cannot copy os.dmg, pls help.

Hi, @ovidoi

As I already wrote, there is no need for os.dmg replacement. The system installation occurs completely automatically until it reaches the desktop. After this you can do OCLP Root Patch for full operation of outdated hardware.

If you have an older discrete graphics card, the installation should be done with -x bootarg, which should be removed after successful OCLP Root Patch.

9 hours ago, verdazil said:

Hi, @ovidoi

As I already wrote, there is no need for os.dmg replacement. The system installation occurs completely automatically until it reaches the desktop. After this you can do OCLP Root Patch for full operation of outdated hardware.

If you have an older discrete graphics card, the installation should be done with -x bootarg, which should be removed after successful OCLP Root Patch.

Hi and thank you but the cryptexes folder is empty, the alias "os" and "app" no link and KP error to boot, that i need to replace os.dmg. I try to -x arg and tell you, thx.

1 hour ago, verdazil said:

@ovidoi, please show me yours EFI and detailed hardware list. Perhaps I will find some inconsistency.

Hi, Laptop Alienware M17x r3, is in my signature, work good to Monterey and Ventura with igpu intel hd3000, to radeon hd6850m dgpu only 2D,

but OCLP developers tell work with terrascale2, smbios MacBook pro 8.3 but oclp doesn't install AMDRadeonX3000.kext

Instalation run very good without issue all stages, i check size os.dmg and os.clone.dmg and is ok 4.9GB.

Thank you.

EFI.zip

Hmm... Laptops are a separate specific topic; information from desktop owners is unlikely to be useful.
Just general comments.

1. FakeSMC.kext very outdated and not supported, it needs to be replaced with VirtualSMC.kext + Plugins

2. All your kexts are very outdated, they don't support Sonoma. It needs to be replaced with the latest versions; -lilubetaall bootarg no longer needed.

3.  The order of kexts in the config. First Lilu.kext, then VirtualSMC.kext, then its plugins, and so on.

4. Definitely need a Root Hash validation kernel patch

5. -no_compat_check booarg оnly works for system startup, not installation

6. amfi_get_out_of_my_way=1 bootarg is outdated, currently in use amfi=0x80 bootarg + AMFIPass.kext

7. For correct operation of CPU PM you need 2 patched kexts: AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext + AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient.kext + 3 patches for Sonoma

1.zip

Thank you verdazil, it works, yeahhh, now boot from stick usb opencore because this laptop boot uefi only usb port, not from hdd/ssd, now my work is converting occonfig to clover config because need to spoof and install dgpu radeon, in opencore i don't know how, i hope to fix this, now install only intel hd3000 with oclp. Working fast then ventura.

Hello, I finally managed to install Sonoma and configure booting with clover as well as booting with opencore stick. 
The functions of the keyboard FN + 123.....key work correctly, the audio video sliders work ok. I salute those who helped me. 
I still can't install dgpu Radeon hd 6850m with oclp, although in the description it says that terrascale2 works for macbook pro 8.2 and 8.3. 
When I want to boot from the dgpu and it gets to loading the display, the system restarts, does anyone have any ideas?

Screenshot 2023-10-13 at 21.13.28.png

Edited by ovidoi

I can only guess...

Compatible Radeon Device ID: 0x6704, 0x6718, 0x6719, 0x6720, 0x6722, 0x6738, 0x6739, 0x6740, 0x6741, 0x6745, 0x6750, 0x6758, 0x6759, 0x6760, 0x6761, 0x6768, 0x6770, 0x6779, 0x6840, 0x6841. If yours is different, spoof it.

Intel HD Graphics сan be disabled in OC config file (see attachment, your IGPU path, of course) or -wegnoigpu (-wegswitchgpu) bootarg

You can test others bootargs: agdpmod=ignore or agdpmod=pikera or agdpmod=vit9696 or radpg=15

hw-disable.plist.zip

• Like 1

1 hour ago, verdazil said:

I can only guess...

Compatible Radeon Device ID: 0x6704, 0x6718, 0x6719, 0x6720, 0x6722, 0x6738, 0x6739, 0x6740, 0x6741, 0x6745, 0x6750, 0x6758, 0x6759, 0x6760, 0x6761, 0x6768, 0x6770, 0x6779, 0x6840, 0x6841. If yours is different, spoof it.

Intel HD Graphics сan be disabled in OC config file (see attachment, your IGPU path, of course) or -wegnoigpu (-wegswitchgpu) bootarg

You can test others bootargs: agdpmod=ignore or agdpmod=pikera or agdpmod=vit9696 or radpg=15

hw-disable.plist.zip 1.08 kB · 0 downloads

Hi, i spoof in clover, device id 0x68991002 or 68B81002, framebuffer Lotus or Cattail (catalina working Qe/Ci) Big Sur to Sonoma autorestarting, i try your suggestion, thx.

LE, i don't know how to spoof in opencore.

Edited by ovidoi

• 5 weeks later...
Hi verdazil, I managed to install Sonoma 14.0 on my old signature desktop and faced a problem related to the rx550 video card, meaning 
that when the apple appears and wants to enter the desktop, it remains black. I used the same settings as in Monterey, 
which burns very well, but in Sonoma it remains black. 
I made a spoof on the video card id 0x67FF1002 with Baffin framebuffer, I repeat in mojave and monterey it works without problems
 without any patch, only configuration from Clover, please advise in some way, thank you.

@verdazil, @HmO, @cankiulascmnfye thank you, thank you, thank you my friends, now i have installed Sonoma on my old coputer full working and fast:thumbsup_anim::wub:

L.E. work with -x and Amfipass.kext and OCLP.

Screenshot 2023-11-14 at 19.34.52.png

Edited by ovidoi