A series of small problems that don't prevent me from using my hackintosh but are utterly frustrating...

theconnactic

5 posts in this topic

Hello there!

My computer is a desktop using an ASUS Z97 Gryphon, i7 3790K, intel HD4600 (with 1536 MB of VRAM per about this mac) connected to 2 monitors, 16 GB of RAM, running the last Mojave point release, using clover 2.4 r4670 as the bootloader with no DSDT/SSDT, with RealtekALC and FakeSMC as the only kexts in the /Clover/kexts/10.14 folder (about this mac: 27 inch late 2013), is running through a few persistent issues that I'm failing to find satisfactory fixes for.

1) core mouse issues: regardless of the mouse I use, it will have a strange behavior, from time to time going nuts around the screen, failing to select or select wrong things;

2) graphics issues: safari will freeze my whole system. I heard it's related to using the internal HD4600 but i remember that a fix was found - yet I cannot recall where;

3) I had to delete the IOBluetooth kext because, for some reason, it was generating a log file each five seconds that, left unattended, would fill the entirety of my 1TB startup disk. Unfortunately I only found what was happening after really long deleting sessions, while if I had tackled the issue either, I could have avoided. This is fixed but as a result I cannot use my Apple bluetooth mouse and keyboard.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and any necessary file will be annexed on demand (I have IOReg, I can upload my config.plist, but I prefer to have some feedback before uploading these).

Thanks!

my config.plist

Hi @theconnactic

So I came across your post lately and had a look at your issue.

To be honest I am not entirely sure where much of your problem lies in your current build, but I think it's probably advisable you upgrade both your EFI and your macOS

because the version of Clover you are using it seems is way out of date (and that includes the kexts). I would also advise going with Opencore as by doing so you will

not only benefit with using an updated bootloader, but one that will help bring your system to date with all the latest changes.

As it goes I have attached here a working Opencore 0.9.3 Gigabyte Z97 EFI from another build I helped with recently, so you can try and see if it works for you.

It can boot up to macOS Monterey with the Intel HD4600 IGPU and Ventura (if using newer supported AMD DGPUs such as RX580, RX5700/6600/6800/6900).

Broadcom Bluetooth drivers are already enabled on this EFI with AirportBrcmFixup.kext so you just need to add your SMBIOS details under PlatformInfo to work. 

EFI.zip

Hello!

I am quite unfamiliarized with opencore: this EFI, Can I put it in a thumbdrive soI don't damage my current clover build which at least boots? About Mojave,I cannot update to Catalina and up because of the ton of 32-bit plugins I use daily with LogicProX and to which I'd instantly lose all support by updating to a newer system. So I need Mojave working the best I can. I think the mistake was updating to the latest point release: Mojave used to work like a clock with this exact config.plist in the beginning.

Thank you so much for the help!

• Like 1

Created a FAT 32 drive and pasted your files there, @Middleman: it boots to Opencore screen, showing a single EFI "disk". When I click on this "Disk", it goes to the standard Clover page prompting me to boot from the Recovery partition.

I think the problem here is that I would have to remove Clover from the startup disk's EFI folder for this to work (that is, booting from the pen drive where I installed your opencore files). Problem is, i'm a tad afraid of doing so and lose access altogether. Will try another approach, that is cloning this startup disk to a new disk and then replacing clover with the opencore files you provided. Will report when I do this, probably next weekend.

Thank you a lot!

• Like 1

@theconnactic

You're most welcome!

Thanks for the explanation about Mojave. Yeah I totally understand your decisions for doing so.

That's one of the reasons why on one of my older laptops I've kept High Sierra on an old MacBook Air alive simply because if I update it I'll have to spend hundreds of dollars per year for both a Microsoft Office & Adobe Photoshop

licence which I do not want to do.

Glad to hear you can see the OpenCanopy loader (at least we know it works). Yes you need to make sure Clover is not on there. Best of luck with testing the new disk!