The computer starts very slowly. May I ask what is causing it

pananning

7 posts in this topic

If it boots slow it's probably either your SSD drive or your Nvidia MX110 card or both.

The Maxsun I don't think is a supported M.2 drive for macOS and the Nvidia MX110 is not supported in Sonoma

(as Nvidia support has largely been removed from macOS since High Sierra).

Your best option is to get a WD M.2 drive such as WD Blue or Black SN570 or 770/850/850X. For the GPU just

disable or remove the Nvidia card and use only the Intel IGPU on your Core i5-8250U to boot Sonoma.

22 minutes ago, Middleman said:

If it boots slow it's probably either your SSD drive or your Nvidia MX110 card or both.

The Maxsun I don't think is a supported M.2 drive for macOS and the Nvidia MX110 is not supported in Sonoma

(as Nvidia support has largely been removed from macOS since High Sierra).

Your best option is to get a WD M.2 drive such as WD Blue or Black SN570 or 770/850/850X. For the GPU just

disable or remove the Nvidia card and use only the Intel IGPU on your Core i5-8250U to boot Sonoma.

Yes, I've blocked out the NVIDIA GeForce MX110 and enabled the IGPU, which is normal in Ventura, and problematic in Sonoma!

16 minutes ago, pananning said:

Yes, I've blocked out the NVIDIA GeForce MX110 and enabled the IGPU, which is normal in Ventura, and problematic in Sonoma!

Right, that's because the i5-8250U is a Kaby Lake R chip. I only realised that just now. You do know that Kaby Lake support has been removed in Sonoma? Only starting from Coffee Lake is supported now. So Ventura is the last best OS you can use on your current system.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Middleman said:

Right, that's because the i5-8250U is a Kaby Lake R chip. I only realised that just now. You do know that Kaby Lake support has been removed in Sonoma? Only starting from Coffee Lake is supported now. So Ventura is the last best OS you can use on your current system.

Thanks for the answer, I understand.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/20/2023 at 3:07 PM, Middleman said:

I confirmed today that this problem was caused by SATA mechanical hard disk. After removing the mechanical hard disk, the boot speed returned to normal. How to shield the mechanical hard disk?