"An error occured preparing the software update." Stuck here? Splat patch? Dell T3500 - Bloomfield

carsonr

4 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,
I've been trying to install macOS Ventura on my Dell T3500 using OpenCore, but I'm running into some problems. I've researched and worked through many potential solutions but have reached a point where I could use some guidance. I'll outline the steps I've taken so far and the problems I've encountered.
Hardware:

• Dell T3500 w/ Xeon W3530
  • AMD R7 250X GPU

Process and Observations:

1. Creating the Bootable USB: I used a 16GB USB drive and followed the Dortania guide to set it up with OpenCore. I ensured the USB was properly formatted and the macOS installer was correctly copied. The EFI partition was set up according to the guide.
  2. BIOS Settings: I have tried my best to configure the BIOS according to the OpenCore Desktop Guide. However, due to the age of my system, not all settings were available, but I set up what I could.
  3. Config.plist Setup: I carefully set up the config.plist file following the Dortania guide, using the MacPro7,1 SMBIOS profile, as it seemed to be the closest match to my hardware. ._config.plist(config.plist)
  4. Kexts and Drivers: I have the necessary kexts and drivers in my EFI folder according to the guide.

AppleALC.kext
    AppleMCEReporterDisabler.kext
    BCM5722D.kext
    CryptexFixup.kext
    Lilu.kext
    SATA-unsupported.kext
    SMCProcessor.kext
    telemetrap.kext
    USBToolBox.kext
    UTBDefault.kext
    VirtualSMC.kext
    WhateverGreen.kext

5. Error at Boot: When I try to boot from the USB, I get the message:
    Domain=com.apple.osinstall Code=-81 "An error occurred preparing the software update." UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=An error occurred preparing the software update., NSUnderlyingError=0x600000063ab0 {Error Domain=MobileSoftwareUpdateErrorDomain Code=56 "Failed to locate splat patch" UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=Failed to locate splat patch, target_update=23A5257q}}} and then the system halts here: 702625867_Screenshot2023-06-26225913.thumb.png.2fcb7c1fa84d00fd53e2fc4f6492e4b8.png (image) 
    ia.txt 
    (ia.log)

What I've tried:

• I have tried changing the SMBIOS profile in my config.plist.
  • I've double-checked the BIOS settings, ensuring that the Secure Boot is disabled, and VT-d (if available), among other settings.
  • Installed Windows to ensure a functional hard drive.
  • I've made sure all my kexts and drivers are up to date and compatible with the macOS version I'm trying to install.
  • I've tried different USB ports on the machine.
  • I've made sure the ACPI settings in my config.plist are correct and applied SSDTs as recommended in the OpenCore guide.
  • Inspecting ia.log: I've reviewed the ia.log and noticed the same "End SetConsoleMode" error, but with no clear indication as to what's causing it.

Despite all these, the "Failed to locate splat patch" error remains. I have looked around for solutions but haven't found anything that matches explicitly my case.

Has anyone encountered this error before or have any ideas what might be causing it? Any suggestions on what to look for in the config.plist or elsewhere in my setup would be much appreciated!

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me. I'm really excited to get macOS running on this machine.

Edited by carsonr

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings to all,

In this continuation of my previous forum posts, I am seeking help with the ongoing issues I am experiencing with my Dell Precision T3500. This is after following the manual steps as provided by Cryptexfixup on the InsanelyMac forum (full thread here: https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/354630-cryptexfixup-problem-on-ventura-legacy/). Following these steps enabled me to successfully boot up my system using the Ventura operating system.

The issue arose when I attempted to perform root patching, specifically for legacy GCN support. To perform this patching, I utilized the OCLP's Root Patching system. However, this resulted in an unexpected error. Upon the subsequent bootup, the system showed graphical artifacts instead of the usual desktop background (please refer to the attached image for a visual illustration of this issue). For your information, I carried out the root patching process not in safe mode and am questioning whether this could have had any impact on the outcome.

In an attempt to troubleshoot, I initially suspected that the issue was related to either the GPU or the PCIe express port. Therefore, I made changes in my setup. First, I switched the GPU to a different PCIe slot. However, when the problem persisted, I replaced the GPU altogether. The replacement was an RX 460 Polaris card.

Unfortunately, the new GPU did not resolve the issue. In fact, it added a new problem; the system was stuck in verbose mode when attempting to run Ventura, as can be seen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDB-BM2Ugnk&ab_channel=CarsonRhodes

Despite the issues, I am eager to make the RX 460 work with this build. Currently, I am unable to boot into macOS with this GPU installed. I would greatly appreciate any advice or recommendations on how to resolve this problem. Your help could provide the solution I need to get my system running optimally.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post! I look forward to your responses!!

Screenshot_2023-07-21_at_1.png

• 5 weeks later...