Opencore as a boot loader?

2 posts in this topic

Hi everyone

I have a question..  You may just tell me to go away as this forum is for Macs and Hackintosh. But please hear me out?

I main PC is a Hackintosh running Catalina and Windows. It work great (thanks to the help i got from you guys) 

I have another computer. Which as have Windows and several  Linux distro's installed on it but No mac OS.

This computer is used offline in my workshop to run CNC machine, Laser cutters and 3D printers.

The reason I am asking this. Is because my main PC as never failed to boot. Opencore just works and as a great Flavour menu..

Grub on the other hand keeps braking..

Is it possible to use Opencore as just a Boot Loader without putting or installing Mac OS on a system?

I Know how to add the entries to the open core config.plist But how can I stop opencore from looking for mac os or mac installer on boot..

Basically I just want opencore to load only the Entries in the config.plist and not look for a Mac OS..

is this possible?

Thanks for taking the time to read this post..   

13 hours ago, David Boswell said:

Hi everyone

I have a question..  You may just tell me to go away as this forum is for Macs and Hackintosh. But please hear me out?

I main PC is a Hackintosh running Catalina and Windows. It work great (thanks to the help i got from you guys) 

I have another computer. Which as have Windows and several  Linux distro's installed on it but No mac OS.

This computer is used offline in my workshop to run CNC machine, Laser cutters and 3D printers.

The reason I am asking this. Is because my main PC as never failed to boot. Opencore just works and as a great Flavour menu..

Grub on the other hand keeps braking..

Is it possible to use Opencore as just a Boot Loader without putting or installing Mac OS on a system?

I Know how to add the entries to the open core config.plist But how can I stop opencore from looking for mac os or mac installer on boot..

Basically I just want opencore to load only the Entries in the config.plist and not look for a Mac OS..

is this possible?

Thanks for taking the time to read this post..   

Opencore can boot any other OS and it not designed just for macOS. Yes Opencore can boot just Linux without macOS.

See here...though it talks about dual boot you can ignore "dual".

Edited by MacNB