Struggling to get HS->Catalina upgrade working on clover or opencore. 9900K Z390 rx580.

orbita

6 posts in this topic

Hi. 

I had a happy high sierra install for the last few years. I finally need to upgrade it so just purchased a Sapphire RX580 to replace geforce 980ti.

The rest of machine is intel 9900K on Gigabyte z390 aorus pro, Samung Evo 970 ssd.

I have tried Clover and Opencore - neither working

(1) Clover - Booting but no screen

I eventually managed to get the high sierra to install after various attempts at upgrading clover and the kexts.

It now boots with clover 5119 but the monitors do not work.

I have tried DP and HDMI ports. Various settings (enable disable igpu), radeon boot flag, setting number of ports to 5.
I can however access the machine via screenshare from another laptop this way.

(2) Opencore - Panic during boot.

I have followed the opencore process and have an EFI that now that starts to boot but panics.

I attach a screenshot showing where it stops. 

Couple of things I notice are the lines

- Refusing new kext as.vig9696.Lilu, v1.6.3 already have prelinked v1.2.1.
- NvidiaGraphicsFixup: init @ failed to call parent 7

It seems to have an old Lilu registered but I don't know why that is?
I also don't have nvidiaGraphicsFixup in the OpenCore EFI so why is that appearing? 

I wondered if it was in my /Library/Extensions but I've now removed all nvidia kexts from there and run disk repair.
I've also added the nvramreset efi and selected that at boot.

------

In both cases I'm using imac 19,1

Appreciate any suggestions that might make either of them work.
Thanks!

IMG_8152.jpg

Edited by orbita

ok I've actually got it to boot after rebuilding kext-cache.

I now have 2 issues.
1) I have no network and if I add intelmausi.kext it won't boot. Screen goes black just before apple log appears.
2) It doesnt shutdown - it just hangs.

I choose Catalina because I couldnt upgrade to BigSur or Monterey. The installer refuses to install. Once I get this going maybe I can look at upgrading later.

I'd rather not reinstall from scratch as I have many installed music software and plugins that will take a long time to setup again.

EFI attached (without intelmausi)

Thanks!

EFI 2.zip

So after it went black again trying the intelmausi kext, I left it and was reading another webpage. Suddenly it came to life and I could log in and internet works. 

It still doesn't shutdown though.. and after forcing a shutdown, it takes a couple of minutes to startup again - maybe due to not shutting down properly?

What do you think could be causing this?

5 hours ago, orbita said:

What do you think could be causing this?

Had a look at your EFI Folder, if the one posted above is yours, and some entries are unclear (see attached pic).

Test this EFI Folder on a USB Drive which is formulated for your machine as an iMac 19.1, hopefully the result will be better. If successful and you decide to use it, you'll have to enter the machine data into the config.plist i.e S/N, SmUUID, Rom etc. Good luck.

Screenshot 2023-02-28 at 21.06.16.png

EFI.zip