Disk error, more than one EFI foder on the same disk ?

geticus

4 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I wanted to resize a partition of a disk, but the Disk Utility did not allow me to do so. I tried to repair the disk, First Aid, error message "Partition map needs repair because a data partition needs loader space. : (-69765)
By doing a diskutil list in the terminal I see that on my 4TB disk (4 partitions), I find myself with ... 5 EFI partitions. This is the first time I see this. Is this new with Ventura? Should I delete them, except the first one of course? I have to repair this disk.

Thanks

Screenshot 2023-01-25 at 21.43.30.png

@geticus

No, this is not new to Ventura. I had never seen this partition scheme. I think that the 200 mb EFIs can be made within macOS but not the 100 mb ones. Both disks are not system disks, right? I haven’t had seen Apfs and Hfs partitions in the same disk but maybe this is not an error. 

1 hour ago, miliuco said:

I haven’t had seen Apfs and Hfs partitions in the same disk but maybe this is not an error. 

I don't think that arrangement is correct in Ventura and I have n ever come across it. I just pulled up mine to check and this is it.323801778_Screenshot2023-01-27at18_04_48.thumb.png.6e90f6e207c91bff0758caab1fbf22fb.png

• Like 1

Thanks for your comments, I finally deleted those EFI NO NAME partitions, and I haven't lost anything yet.
Miliuco, yes, the first disk, disk1, contains three bootable partitions, temporary, the APFS container and 2 storage partitions.  
And eSaf, indeed, it's very strange all this and I wonder if I should not make a copy and reset the disk. The problem is that it is big. But what it looks like today is not very reassuring. So...

• Like 1