Loading Windows broken after reboot from macOS Monterey

Drovosek

7 posts in this topic

Good time of day.

I installed and configured hackintosh on my x99 platform.

Unfortunately, I ran into the same problem as on my previous x79 platform. After shutting down macOS Monterey and starting Windows 10, it (Windows) does not start the first time. Only on the third launch does the Windows recovery mode start and the restart in Windows after that is already successful.

Even if I start Windows via the Boot menu in UEFI (after I have restarted the computer from macOS Monterey), this problem still appears.

Here is a video demonstration:
https://youtu.be/jGbsSFI2JhQ

Here my ESP with all files:
https://mega.nz/file/20dBUZQZ#7wWmvpyu6UaySTX8cUtE2ID8prhhwdsK8kl8X9GoYIQ

@Drovosek

Your EFI has APPLE and Microsoft folder. APPLE is not needed at all, it's a Hackintosh.

Microsoft is not needed neither, usually OC detects automatically the Windows system and adds an entry in the picker even without the Microsoft folder in the macOS EFI.

Try deleting both folders but first you must be sure that Windows can boot from its own EFI (can it boot directly from the BIOS?) and you must save the Microsoft folder just in case of fail.

34 minutes ago, miliuco said:

Your EFI has APPLE and Microsoft folder. APPLE is not needed at all, it's a Hackintosh.

This folder was created automatically when installing macOS Mojave

48 minutes ago, miliuco said:

Microsoft is not needed neither, usually OC detects automatically the Windows system and adds an entry in the picker even without the Microsoft folder in the macOS EFI.

This folder was created automatically when installing Windows 10, what's the point in deleting it?

If you have both OSX and Win in one disk... then you need the Microsoft folder
I would try to copy it to the desktop temporarily and delete it from the EFI leaving only Boot ( by Opencore ) and the OC folder .... reboot
Copy the Microsoft Folder back into EFI

@Drovosek

APPLE folder is created when you install or update macOS, the install program does as is it was on a real Mac but the hacks have nothing to do with this folder. Really it has not to harm anything.

Microsoft folder is needed only if macOS and Windows share disk, as @antuneddu says.

If Microsoft is on another disk, it's a good practice to unplug the macOS disk while installing Windows to avoid issues. So the Microsoft folder is not created in the OC EFI.

I have read you in the bug tracker. Windows doesn't boot even from the BIOS menu? Is it in a different disk? Then, I think you must reinstall Windows unplugging the macOS disk in the meanwhile.

Edited by miliuco

2 hours ago, miliuco said:

I have read you in the bug tracker. Windows doesn't boot even from the BIOS menu? Is it in a different disk? Then, I think you must reinstall Windows unplugging the macOS disk in the meanwhile.

If I restart the computer from macOS Monterrey, then Windows does not start normally with any startup options, even from the UEFI Boot menu.

When Windows starts for the first time (no matter through which bootloader manager), the white loading circle turns for a very long time and after ~ 7 minutes of waiting, I forcibly reboot.

There is a second launch of Windows and the situation repeats completely, as with the first launch. I am forcibly restarting the computer.

There is a third launch of Windows and at the same time automatic Windows recovery starts. Then a blue screen with white letters and 2 buttons appears and I press the "Restart" button.

There is a fourth launch of Windows and now Windows is already starting normally.

If after that I restart the computer and start macOS Monterey, and then restart the computer and start Windows, then the "vicious circle" repeats.

I conducted an investigation and...

At first, I tried to reproduce the described problem on the basis of someone else's EFI folder with the Clover loader, and to my surprise, when using Clover, the Windows 10 operating system also started only 4 times after restarting from macOS Monterey.

I decided to reinstall Windows using the Clover bootloader. After reinstalling Windows, I did not install anything, but immediately conducted the test described above - I rebooted in Monterey, and then rebooted in Windows 10 and did not see any problems when starting Windows. Then I returned the OpenCore loader and repeated the tests with a restart and also did not see any problems with Windows 10.

Then I started to step through the Windows setup steps that I'm doing and run tests with restarting from macOS Monterey to Windows.

As a result, I found out that the described problem occurs if you install the driver "Series C220"

No matter where to install it from - from the SDI driverpack or from the Windows Update Center - the result is the same - after that, Windows does not start normally after restarting from macOS Monterey

208569052-2e2eff81-cde9-4daf-93f6-f424e7

208633481-e73a3d69-3cd2-4c3b-9bdc-1bf400

If you install all other drivers except this driver, then Windows starts normally.

Edited by Drovosek
  • Like 1